Bushings for different kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

John M

I have a question. Say you buy a Zen, or a Wallstreet or whatever. There are different companies that have the same pen, but different name. It looks the same to the eye, so will the bushings match up? I have a Zen, got the bushings for the Rockler version and they seem off. At least it seems to me the bushings should be the same on the front and back, but they are a little different.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

Not necessarily going to match because they look the same.
The Zen does take both bushings same size.
The set you got sounds like it might match a "stretch" which is sold by Aaron
of Lau lau Woodworks, a member here.
I think Rockler has a similar item to Aaron's strech pen.
Also, watch the bargain kits, they are slightly different from the real deal, such as slimlines, cigars, and sierra clones, such as the CSUSA "apprentice" line.
Best to get your bushings from the kit source.
There are several crossovers that work fine, I won't try to list them all, but they are out there.

Last edited:

kirkfranks

I also forgot to order the bushings when I got my zen pen kit.
I looked at the instructions and saw that they were both the same size.
I then looked at the instructions for the Rockler pen like you did and saw they showed one different than the other (they did not say what the size was either) so I passed.
I did find that one of the Jr. Gent bushing was the correct size. The other bushing from that set is just a tad small, but you can swap them out from end to end.

That said I will be ordering the bushing set when I order this pen again.:redface:

John M

Unfortunately I ordered about 5 different pens, and did not order bushings for any of them. I have to get some. I am going to look at johnnys bushings, they are a bit steep for me, but I hear they are worth every penny. I have noticed that some of my bushings that I got from Woodcraft and Rockler are not very true.

bitshird

As long as the tube size is the same, you can measure the diameter, buy an inexpensive dial or digital calipers, one of the best tool investments you can make, [size=-4]my tool is the other one[/size] shameless little plug, really never trust bushings any way unless you measure them, sanding, and or CA use will either make them small or large.

Top Bottom