Bushing Size for PSI DuraClick EDC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

To start, must say that I really like the fact that PSI, in their instruction sheet for every pen kit, includes the bushing size specification.
Other manufacturers/vendors would be well-advised to do the same, in my opinion.

But for the DuraClick EDC, I am wondering about this spec given in the PSI instruction sheet.
When I check (with calipers) the diameter of the main pen kit hardware components next to the turned blank, I measure a diameter of 0.451".
The instruction sheet, however, specifies the bushing diameter (at that point) as 0.435" (for all plating options for this pen kit).
(Some turners might be inclined to use this published diameter even if they "turn between centers" without using bushings.)
The difference between these two numbers is significant, in my opinion, and can be noticed in the resulting pens.

Just wondering if anyone else has made this comparison of printed and measured values, and what diameter you measured for pen kit components.

It's possible that my calipers are "out", but I don't think there could be an error of 0.016".

Thanks in advance.

(BTW, I turn "between centers" and so I don't use bushings, but, nevertheless, I always refer to the PSI instruction sheets for kits "new" to me.)
(I note that these bushings are also used for a pen kit that pre-dates the DuraClick EDC; this fact could've resulted in an error creeping into data.)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jonkou

Easy enough to calibrate your caliper on a drill bit of known size. I'm new to pen turning and have found the same on the instruction sheets of a few already. Also found two (older majestic jr kits) that the written specified sizes was not the actual size of the parts and bushings. Remediate by measuring the mating pieces of the kit, sketch it out with critical dimensions and turn the barrel (s) accordingly allowing .005 for thickness of CA finish regardless of what the instructions say or fit on the bushings. Just use the instruction sheet for assembly. Currently using a Whiteside mandrel with bushings and Rotur mandrel saver but have the stuff for TBC and will try it with the next batch. Ordered from PSI last Tues and still not here, covid effecting everything I guess.

carlmorrell

When I try a new pen kit, I usually just wing it, find bushings close to what I need. I decided I like the EDC and have made quite a few. Recently, I bought a starter set, to get all the metal finishes, and the bushings. Here is a pic, bushings have been used once. I measure .435. Pen is food coloring dyed hempwood, came off lathe yesterday.

Attachments

• 20200506_154519[1].jpg
    20200506_154519[1].jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 200
To start, must say that I really like the fact that PSI, in their instruction sheet for every pen kit, includes the bushing size specification.
Other manufacturers/vendors would be well-advised to do the same, in my opinion.

I agree with your opinion. I've bought from other vendors and they force you to go to their website and, at times, struggle to find the instructions and a lot times the bushing sizes are not included. The other thing I like about PSI instructions is that the instructions are just front and back of one page instead of 2 pages printed front to back. I can easily store the PSI instructions in a binder and not worry about getting the page out of order.

TonyL

I had had some TBC versions made that are very good. I will measure and get back to you. They also fit the ED Classic.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The inside of the knurling is .425" at the nib.

More and more, pen kits do not have a straight transition from your turned body to the pen hardware.
Think of the sierra--the original design is straight, with a pressed metal part, your finger will feel any difference between the pen body diameter and the nib pieces. With the PSI version, (gatsby) that piece is rounded--allowing the penmaker some "slop" that won't be noticed.

Lately, I have measured several kits that have rounded parts, most notably the cigar pen. Again the lower body hits a radiused part, so the turned piece can vary in diameter and still feel right.

Once again, I believe that you, as the penmaker, should take the instructions as "suggestions". You have the advantage of experience which allows you to improve on the suggestions as you see fit!!

magpens

Ed's initial statement: "The inside of the knurling is .425" at the nib."

"The inside of the knurling" .... I take that to mean the diameter of the unknurled portions between the knurled portions.

You're right, Ed !!! . And that means that I must be right also !! . Consequently, I conclude that my calipers are right !!

And, of course, your main point is valid.

BUT ... where you say ... "the advantage of experience ... allows you to improve on the suggestions as you see fit" ... that's ALSO right !!

You may rest your case. . LOL !!! . :) . . . Now, if I may go on, and I do NOT think I am "picking nits" in the case of this particular pen kit ....

What about my point ? . With the Duraclick EDC, the aesthetics of the design sort of "demand" a straight-sided turned barrel, "matching" the outer diameter of the nearest pieces of kit hardware .... that's kinda what I am getting at .... and the manufacturer's specs "suggest" that the bushing size be significantly smaller than the "right" size for the barrel .... I am going to "rest my case" about that also, as regards "rightness" ... it's not.

Let's hear what others might have to say. . Has anyone made one of these pens with a "bulged" barrel ? . And could you see and/or feel the difference in the profile of the barrel when compared to the hardware ? . Is that an appropriate way to shape the barrel for this kit ?

(Let me pre-judge the opinions and say that I think that there is an appropriate shape for the barrel, and that it is straight-sided and of a diameter which matches the outer diameter of the knurled portions of the hardware ... and that is 0.451".)

Or ... has COVID-19 gotten to me ? .... LOL !! :) .... (.... the pre-occupation .... NOT the disease .... )

Last edited:

philipff

But for the DuraClick EDC, I am wondering about this spec given in the PSI instruction sheet.
When I check (with calipers) the diameter of the main pen kit hardware components next to the turned blank, I measure a diameter of 0.451".
The instruction sheet, however, specifies the bushing diameter (at that point) as 0.435" (for all plating options for this pen kit).
(Some turners might be inclined to use this published diameter even if they "turn between centers" without using bushings.)
The difference between these two numbers is significant, in my opinion, and can be noticed in the resulting pens.

Just wondering if anyone else has made this comparison of printed and measured values, and what diameter you measured for pen kit components.

It's possible that my calipers are "out", but I don't think there could be an error of 0.016".

Thanks in advance.

(BTW, I turn "between centers" and so I don't use bushings, but, nevertheless, I always refer to the PSI instruction sheets for kits "new" to me.)
(I note that these bushings are also used for a pen kit that pre-dates the DuraClick EDC; this fact could've resulted in an error creeping into data.)
Bushings?? WHAT FOR? Got a caliper and threw away all my bushings 10 years ago!! P.

TonyL

Mal, do you have a USA address that I can mail a SFRB to? If so, send me a PM with it. Thx.

mick

Once again, I believe that you, as the penmaker, should take the instructions as "suggestions". You have the advantage of experience which allows you to improve on the suggestions as you see fit!!

There are instructions for pen kits?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom