Bushing question...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

This is for some of the turners that have been around awhile... or if you're new and know don't hesitate to set me straight.
In the process of getting my stuff up and running again I've ran across a bushing that's not ringing a bell with me. The bag was labeled Sierra Vista .550 add on. I'm thinking it came from Johnnycnc. It's larger than either if my other Sierra Vista bushings... and way bigger than my regular Sierra bushings. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gersh

Screenshot_20200323-193339_Bushings and Tube Reference.jpg

jttheclockman

Not sure where you are getting those numbers but I know for fact and only because I am working with them right now that the Sierra Vista has a 13.96 and 13.24 bushing. This is for Bearra Hard woods, Beartooth woods,and exotic vistas.

You are showing a two piece pen with cap and barrel. Any Sierra that I know of is one piece.

To the OP are both bushings the same or is one smaller than the other as is the case with all sierra vistas. Or is there more than 2 bushings?? We need more help. Johnny use to make between center bushings that had cone ends.

OK Dummy me, that is in inches and the measurements I gave are in mm. That .550 is the dimensions for the cap portion of the Sierra Vista pen kit. The nib bushing is slightly smaller. It is probably longer because that is the way he made them. But diameter is correct. Maybe you have been using the wrong bushings all this time. You said you have been away for awhile.

Last edited:

mick

Not sure where you are getting those numbers but I know for fact and only because I am working with them right now that the Sierra Vista has a 13.96 and 13.24 bushing. This is for Bearra Hard woods, Beartooth woods,and exotic vistas.

You are showing a two piece pen with cap and barrel. Any Sierra that I know of is one piece.

To the OP are both bushings the same or is one smaller than the other as is the case with all sierra vistas. Or is there more than 2 bushings?? We need more help. Johnny use to make between center bushings that had cone ends.

OK Dummy me, that is in inches and the measurements I gave are in mm. That .550 is the dimensions for the cap portion of the Sierra Vista pen kit. The nib bushing is slightly smaller.
JT this is the package it was in
9d88705029d684cb0a891447717f9095.jpg

mick

Yep those are probably turn between center bushings. See if the end has a cone hole and sometimes never went all the way through.
Sorry I should have made that clear in the first post. Yes it TBC. The other Sierra vista bushings that I got from Johnny are labeled CUSTOM size. I can't remember the reasoning but there was some reason he made them at the time bur that's was probably 5yrs ago.
7c4fc37fb5a2f9b142f75544751759e3.jpg

jttheclockman

Maybe he made a mistake with the first ones and did like the standard sierras are one size for both ends. The Vista is 2 sizes and maybe he made them both the same size and then got called on it and made the other to designate the difference. Just guessing.

mick

Maybe he made a mistake with the first ones and did like the standard sierras are one size for both ends. The Vista is 2 sizes and maybe he made them both the same size and then got called on it and made the other to designate the difference. Just guessing.
Now that you've got my memory jogging I think it was something like that. I don't think he had it wrong tho. If I remember right no one was totally happy with the fitment of the factory bushings and Johnny came up with the CUSTOM size he billed his as. I may have bought an extra, hence the baggie with the .550 on it.
Any of that ring a bell?

jttheclockman

Now that you've got my memory jogging I think it was something like that. I don't think he had it wrong tho. If I remember right no one was totally happy with the fitment of the factory bushings and Johnny came up with the CUSTOM size he billed his as. I may have bought an extra, hence the baggie with the .550 on it.
Any of that ring a bell?

Not really The memory is not what it once was. I have a few sets of his TBC bushings but to be honest I never used them. I have so learned to use standard bushings for all my pens. I know how to creep up on final dimension when using my skew. I use bushings as a guide and not a crutch.

Gersh

The reason it was a 2 piece picture is due to how the IAP bushing app shows it. That was a direct screen shot of the app

Top Bottom