Bushing and Tube Dimensions of Kit Suppliers will be updated 2019

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Please start using the New Forum Index/Menu at:

https://www.penturners.org/threads/...utorials-from-old-server.160513/#post-2031480

This OLD Content Server will soon be removed from service.

tn_bush_tube.jpg

Bushing and Tube Dimensions Updated Sept. 30, 2016

WOW!

Bushing and Tube
Smartapp for your
Apple iPad/iPhone

Update: Sept. 24, 2016
Apple App User Guide
Revised: Sept. 30, 2016

Author: [member]Edgar[/member] Dohmann

Author: [member]Wayne[/member] Racinowski

Complete 20 Suppliers
NEW: Aug. 18, 2016
Arizona Silhouette
Revised: Aug. 18, 2016
Bear Tooth Woods
Berea Hardwoods
Classic Nib
Craft Supplies USA
Exotic Blanks
Gary Pye
Hut Products
Laserlinez
Lee Valley
Little River Crafts
New: Aug. 18, 2016
Packard Woodworks
Penn State
Rockler
Smittys
William Wood Write
Wood N Whimsies
Wood World of Texas
New: Aug. 18, 2016
Woodcraft
Woodturningz
Blank Excel Form

Last edited:

healeydays

Thanks Wayne, great job as usual.

It really would be nice to get a chart like these for Smitty's kits. I know some are just renamed, but others aren't.

jttheclockman

Now there is one of those never ending jobs. With kits changing as much as they do it is amazing things o not get messed up more than they do when you go to make a pen.

Thanks for the good work.

Sandsini

Thanks for the valuable resource! I used it this week as well. It's probably an impossible task to keep it up to date, but having all this information in one place makes my research and planning so much easier.

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
There is STILL no Celtic Click Pen (PSI). The ball point is a Twist Pen as I wrote you four Months ago. They do also have Roller Ball and Fountain pen but NO Click Pen in the Celtic pen..

Looking at the released version, I did update it as you suggested.
Do a browser refresh and the new chart should appear.

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Slight revisions will soon be on the way for the Bushing and Tube Charts.

Mostly cosmetic and standardizing terminology.

A few dimensional updates.

No new pen kits added at this time though.

Yes I know there are new pens, but this is a first step for something cool on its way!!

jttheclockman

Slight revisions will soon be on the way for the Bushing and Tube Charts.

Mostly cosmetic and standardizing terminology.

A few dimensional updates.

No new pen kits added at this time though.

Yes I know there are new pens, but this is a first step for something cool on its way!!

Tease!!!!!!!!!:)

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
New Bushing and Tube Dimensions of Kit Suppliers coming

I'll soon be releasing updates for all of the existing Bushing and Tube kit supplier charts. Stay Tuned!

Now, just because, there will be 7 New charts added for:

Classic Nib
Exotic Blanks
Gary Pye
Lazerlinez
Smitty's
William Wood-Write
Wood-N-Whimsies

Most Importantly, these updates will also be added to our existing Apple App very soon. Thanks Edgar.

Questions, which other suppliers would you like to see added?

...and what will You do to Help the IAP?​

flyitfast

Wow Wayne!!
What a great learning experience you have accumulated for all of us.
Not only are some of the new vendors new to me but the world of pens has expanded for me. Now I have to try and make all of them since I have all the component information available!!!
Thank you for all the time and effort you have given IAP members.
Gordon

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
New Pen Charts Added

Announcing 3 New Charts:

Little River Crafts and Wood World of Texas have been added.

Additionally a Combined Version of the 20 Suppliers has been created.
Currently sorted by Supplier name only.

I will possibly create additional combined versions sorted by other variables.

Most Importantly, these updates will also be added to our existing Apple App very soon. Thanks Edgar.

Questions, which other suppliers would you like to see added?

...and what will You do to Help the IAP?

edstreet

I have a very stupid question. Likely what I ask will be taken wrong so I'm going to just spit it out and say don't take it other than how I say it.

Why has vendors hat has been with the IAP community for a good number of years been excluded from this project, as for that why exclude any vendors and why ask if others should be included?

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I have a very stupid question. Likely what I ask will be taken wrong so I'm going to just spit it out and say don't take it other than how I say it.

Why has vendors hat has been with the IAP community for a good number of years been excluded from this project, as for that why exclude any vendors and why ask if others should be included?

Which vendors are we missing, Ed?

We are trying to include as many as possible, especially those who support IAP activities.

It takes a lot of time to generate these charts and Wayne has been doing it all by himself for the past 7 years. I've been trying to help him lately and we would welcome other volunteers too.

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I might also say that Wayne has sent information requests to just about every pen kit supplier that we know of in the world asking for input and copies of their instructions & dimensions (for their unique kits).

We have received a few responses, but not many. If a supplier chooses not to respond and be helpful in this project, they will get a lower priority than those who make it easier on us.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
New charts now available for app download

I have updated the Bushings & Tubes app database on the IAP server with all of Wayne's latest chart info.

If you have the auto download setting enabled in your app, it will be able to download those updates without your having to do anything else (except have an Internet connection for a few minutes).

Let me know if you have any problems getting your database updated.

Edgar

beck3906

Okay, Ed Street, I'll start your guessing game with these off the top of my head. You fill in others. :biggrin:

Timberbits
Signature Pen Supply
Tennessee Pen Supply
Pen Kit Mall
Pen Kits Mall (yes, it's different)

Beaufortink.co.uk
There's a number of U.K. based pen suppliers if you want to expand.

I'll add others as I think of them.

And Ed...
Be a contributor without playing the games. You'll gain much more respect doing that.

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks Rick - that's the type of information that Wayne was asking for.

As I noted above, he has sent questionnaires and requests for kit dimensions and instructions to many, many suppliers around the world (several times in some cases). A few have responded, but most have not.

It takes a lot of time to generate these charts and it is especially difficult if the suppliers won't send us instructions & dimensions or post them on line. We have added 5 suppliers in the last year and we will continue to add more as we can. Priority will go to those who make our task easiest & those that our members want to see in the charts.

As we add more charts, the maintenance effort of the existing charts also increases. We try to keep up with new kits from each supplier and we are constantly reviewing the existing charts for typos, errors and inconsistencies. Spending time on such things to maintain & improve the quality & utility of the charts also impacts the time available to generate new charts.

We always appreciate suggestions for new suppliers and improvement to the charts. If there are any errors in the charts we want to know about it. If anyone can supply missing information (wherever a question mark appears), we want to know about it. And if anyone wants to help with this project, we will welcome it.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I think it's actually Legacy Woodturnings (www.woodturningstore.com)

They only offer a handful of kits & bushings. They do have their own version of instructions for their kits but I couldn't find any dimensional info on their bushings. I suspect they are just standard original mfg bushings - prossiy Berra since they have a Sierra kit. If someone really needs to know, I suggest sending them a query.

TonyL

I think it's actually Legacy Woodturnings (www.woodturningstore.com)

They only offer a handful of kits & bushings. They do have their own version of instructions for their kits but I couldn't find any dimensional info on their bushings. I suspect they are just standard original mfg bushings - prossiy Berra since they have a Sierra kit. If someone really needs to know, I suggest sending them a query.

I agree. They look stock/standard. Why would one think they are dimensionally different (not asked rhetorically)?

RaymondScott

I agree. They look stock/standard. Why would one think they are dimensionally different (not asked rhetorically)?

I had no reason to think it was different. I wasn't sure if they had their own bushings, so I was wary to get any of their branded bushings in case they differed from other kit providers.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Because there are many versions of many kits available--so an ounce of measuring is worth several pounds of conjecture or WAG-ing!

Another word to the wise: IF you are using a kit that is new to you, TEST the brass tube in your bushings and measure the components that are supposed to match up BEFORE you glue your favorite blank onto the brass and THEN find out it is a different size!!!!!

FWIW

Last edited:
Top Bottom