burr elm bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from howsitwork

howsitwork

made this plate last year and finished with multiple coates fo danish oil. Should have put some rings on the base perhaps to add definition . Wall thickness is 3/8 throughout which gives it a nice weight and it sits well.
62CB9886-55E1-4CA1-BABE-1F3B28910B48.jpeg
50DDDE07-3073-4362-A802-6A8CECAE5A82.jpeg
About 9" diameter by 2" high gift for my niece.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

It's a beautiful bowl, but it would look better in my eyes, if you had made a spot in the exterior centre for your signature and date. The way that you finished it, any slime ball could claim that they made it, by signing their name to it.

Len

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Wonderful elm burr. I really like the eyes and the grain, very beautiful. Sadly, I agree with Len above.

Thanks for sharing - I really appreciate the beauty here.

howsitwork

Very attractive Ian.
Is that a split across the base, and if so how did you deal with it?
Mike
yes , iyep that's a fracture line. For hollowing as it was compressed ina chuck I didn't worry about it but it got CA treatment as it became noticeable. I was watching very carefully whilst hollowing but although you can see the figure it was following inside the bowl it didn't propagate through Danish oil feeds the wood and helps stabilise it as it cures ( in my opinion anyway ) .

Re signing the bowl I follow the logic but this was a gift for my niece and she knows who made it. I do sign date and identify the wood on some ( probably a good idea to do it on all so thanks for that ).

Top Bottom