Burnt leather

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Snowbeast

Snowbeast

This is the first attempt at pyrography since I was a kid. Trying to see if I can do anything worthwhile enough to integrate into pen and bowl turning. Got about 5 hrs. into this little picture. It's on leather and approx. 6 1/4" x 5". Comments and critiques, especially from experienced pyrographers, welcomed.

Attachments

• 5 hrs.JPG
    5 hrs.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 363
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WoodCarverOH

I don't know how long it's been since you were a little kid but for a first job since that is remarkable. I've done that pattern many of times on water color paper. Great Job !!!

ossaguy

I've never heard of that word,or seen that craft. It looks Awesome! Is that like woodburning,except on leather?

Special tools?

Steve

Snowbeast

Pyrography translates basically as "fire picture". This is just woodburning that I did on a piece of leather. I didn't have a piece of light color, clear wood that most woodburners use, so I used what I had.

The 'special tools' are whatever woodburner unit you want to use. I got a Versa-tool from Hobby Lobby. It looks like a soldering iron with interchangeable tips. Some graphite paper to transfer patterns and you're off and running.

Just like pen making. Get some basic tools, read/watch as many tutorials as you can find and then practice, practice, practice. At least, that's my plan.

Thanx for all the nice comments.

ohiococonut

Beautiful!

I don't know a darn thing about pyrography but I do know line art and one of the easiest ways to pick out the shades to show depth is to squint when looking at it.

You've hit the contrast just right. The car alone is fantastic with it's weathered look.

I'd be looking at leather working/stitching. It's one thing to be able to pound out designs in leather but you've got talent and I see a demand for your skills in handcrafted leather items. Handbags and belts aren't the only thing made with leather.

Fishinbo

Awesome work, wonderful details and scenery. I don't know pyrography but I know that it takes great talent and skills to make one like it.

Top Bottom