Burn lines.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from WriteON

WriteON

What are you using. The Mitchell's abrasive cord does not go too far.... and it's not cheap

Attachments

• 07AF3D5C-C2B6-40CE-AB9A-CFAC9E8995D6.jpeg
    07AF3D5C-C2B6-40CE-AB9A-CFAC9E8995D6.jpeg
    325 KB · Views: 288
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

I use a set of burning wires I bought years ago....probably from CSUSA. set of three wire gauges with a ball knob on the ends.
You can also use a piece of laminate (Formica or equivalent) or simply cut a piece of wood to a sharp edge and press in while turning fast.
I have found that green or oily woods don't burn well.

danhoke

As above. I have had a set of three burning wires with ball knobs for about 15 years and they have served me very well. Not sure where I bought them.

BKelley

Some of the older commercial ice makers used a red hot grid of inconnel wire to cut sheets of ice into cubes. I salvaged enough of these wires to last me a lifetime. If memory serves me right they are about O.O20 thick. They do a super job of burning a line. Never, I mean never hold a line burning wire in your hands without handles. For any reason should the wire grab or catch, good bye fingers

Ben

KLJ

Made my own from guitar strings. I have used formica mounted on the end of a stick when our club would set up at the state fair and let people turn. I think the formica was a little safer than the strings because there is no chance of it wrapping up. The formica can be used to burn a wider section also or use it on edge and burn a line. I prefer the strings for lines seems to me to be faster and you can have a selection of sizes.

WriteON

I have braided "windshield remover" wire...might try attached to dowels. However will look into guitar strings. Thanks everyone.

hbillings

I just used a galvanized wire I had in the shop, no handles, nothing special. It works well on mesquite and oak but I'm sure I would have better results with guitar strings and the like. Given Bob's warning though, I'm going to make a proper wire with handles.

WriteON

I just used a galvanized wire I had in the shop, no handles, nothing special. It works well on mesquite and oak but I'm sure I would have better results with guitar strings and the like. Given Bob's warning though, I'm going to make a proper wire with handles.
Absolutely use handles... dowels... whatever. I thank BOB for posting that. Safety first each and every time.

Top Bottom