Burl vs. Burr and "Root Growth" vs. Trunk/Limb Growths

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

So...I've been trying to get a strait answer as to what teh difference between the terms "burl" and "burr" are, and have not found a clear answer. In some (many) cases, the two terms seem to be totally interchangeable and effectively mean the same thing. In some (rare) cases, some have referred to a burr only referencing a trunk growth that is full of eyes, whereas burl refers to any growth, eyes or not, anywhere on a tree.

In some cases, I've read or heard people referring to "THE burl of <insert tree>" as if its just a single thing that the given kind of tree "just has" and as far as I can tell, when people talk like that its usually referring to the root ball. It seems some trees may always have highly figured like growths in their root balls, and thats just a thing? Thing is, I've also come across burl caps cut off of some of the same types of trees...so, the term usage remains confusing.

Are the terms burl and burr really referring to the same thing? Does burr truly only refer to a trunk growth that is full of eyes, where burl refers to any growth? Is the proper usage of burl to only refer to the root ball growths? Is the proper term for a growth on a trunk or limb "burl cap"?

Well. Burl vs. Burr. Two of the most confusing terms in the world of wood, I think.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drewby108

I always thought they were the same thing, but it was a regional dialect difference. Any source West of the Atlantic said burl, but everything East was burr.

I'm interested to see what others say.

Darrin

Burl and Burr are interchangeable depending on your location. Where the Burl/burr is on the tree doesn't change its context although most people will identify if it's from the root vs. upper section. Burl caps for me are basically the same thing, but cut-offs.
This has been my understanding of this for years.

PatrickR

A burl or burr is a specific thing. An abnormal growth on a tree. making true burl rather rare. the term is used loosely though, mostly for marketing. I think A lot of "burl" is actually root or trunk stock. Manzanita and thuya are good examples. I have purchased log wood burl that I am positive is root.
wood from a crotch or around a knot will have a very different look.

sorcerertd

I was trying to find what you call the growth over a damaged part of the tree and this came up in the search. Like Bono, however, I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

1656555026440.png

EDIT: I also found this, and found it interesting

Last edited:

Joebobber

I was trying to find what you call the growth over a damaged part of the tree and this came up in the search. Like Bono, however, I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

View attachment 337567

Nice. 😆 🤣

sorcerertd

Heh, I only got this far before I started going back through the posting to see which member's name was "Bono".
Sorry, not a big U2 fan.
I definitely didn't expect everyone to get that reference, but also didn't think about it seemingly referring to a member. 🤣 Sorry if that leads anyone on a wild goose chase, but at the same time it's pretty funny (to me anyway). :p

Mortalis

I definitely didn't expect everyone to get that reference, but also didn't think about it seemingly referring to a member. 🤣 Sorry if that leads anyone on a wild goose chase, but at the same time it's pretty funny (to me anyway). :p
Oh, no offense at all. I kinda yukked at myself as I know Bono is U2 lead singer but frankly didnt even register.

greenacres2

Oh, no offense at all. I kinda yukked at myself as I know Bono is U2 lead singer but frankly didnt even register.
Odd, whenever i see "Bono", i think of Sonny & Cher. Well, more Sonny since he kept the name when they split up. Maybe i'm showing a wee bit of age???
earl

Darrin

View attachment 337567

I bet this came from The Joshua Tree. 🙂

Top Bottom