Burl hybrid sanding

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
First time turning a burl hybrid blank. Dry sanded to 600 grit. Was going to micro mesh wet sand with Danish oil to take out fine scratches on the acrylic portion. Then apply a CA finish with a water micro mesh. Anyone have experience with this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mongo44

I usually sand my hybrid blanks up to 600 grit, then about 10 coats of CA. Finally, I go through all the micro mesh grits and then finish off with some plastic polish. Everyone does this differently though. I hope you find a method that works well for you, good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

J_B

On my hybirds I simply run through my abranet grits (120 thru 800grit all wet w/water & I use mesh hook n loop that does not build up an lasts very long time) then moving on to my micromesh (ALWAYS wet) next move on to Novus 1 & 2 using a terrycloth towel to take the micro scratches. I really do not worry about the burl part so much and it always has turned out beautiful. Every once while (depending on the blank) I do a final buffing with hut's crystal coat. I never use an oil to take out scratches nor use a CA finish on any with acrylic in them as there is no need. They polish up beautifully anyway. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
On my hybirds I simply run through my abranet grits (120 thru 800grit all wet w/water & I use mesh hook n loop that does not build up an lasts very long time) then moving on to my micromesh (ALWAYS wet) next move on to Novus 1 & 2 using a terrycloth towel to take the micro scratches. I really do not worry about the burl part so much and it always has turned out beautiful. Every once while (depending on the blank) I do a final buffing with hut's crystal coat. I never use an oil to take out scratches nor use a CA finish on any with acrylic in them as there is no need. They polish up beautifully anyway. Hope this helps.
Thank for the response. I was concerned about introducing water to the burl wood.

Top Bottom