Bullet and Deer Antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kenny Durrant

Kenny Durrant

I've been making pens with casings and wanted to do something different with the top half. I used a snakeskin I cast before but was afraid to try the rim because it might chip. I've been playing with antler and thought it might ba a nice material to try. I'm very pleased with my first. The engraving made it pop IMHO. Questions and Comments are always Welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_4228.jpeg
    IMG_4228.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4229.jpeg
    IMG_4229.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 82
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I've been making pens with casings and wanted to do something different with the top half. I used a snakeskin I cast before but was afraid to try the rim because it might chip. I've been playing with antler and thought it might ba a nice material to try. I'm very pleased with my first. The engraving made it pop IMHO. Questions and Comments are always Welcome.

Kenny Durrant

Not sure what you mean by "but was afraid to try the rim because it might chip".
I've use cast snakeskin on 308, 30-06, and 300 Win Mags with no problems.
I cast and turned this one about a month ago. I turns the neck, bullet end, with no problem. I was concerned about the primer end. The ring that the receiver used to eject the shell. Now that this was successful I'll try another snake and some wood. I give a lot of these to random people and it would be cool if I engraved something that pertains to what they do.

Attachments

• IMG_4117.jpeg
    IMG_4117.jpeg
    580.7 KB · Views: 33

keithlong

Nice looking pen, I have been making these for several years. In the past I have been using real copper bullets and melting the lead out of them, then file a flat spot on the copper jacket and drilling a hole in it for the refill to go through.I have recently discovered that bear tooth woods carries replica bullet nibs for slimline pens. I am gonna give them a try. They also have the scope rifle clips for slimline pens.

Kenny Durrant

Nice looking pen, I have been making these for several years. In the past I have been using real copper bullets and melting the lead out of them, then file a flat spot on the copper jacket and drilling a hole in it for the refill to go through.I have recently discovered that bear tooth woods carries replica bullet nibs for slimline pens. I am gonna give them a try. They also have the scope rifle clips for slimline pens.
Thank You Keith. I've seen those that drill the actual bullet and as much as I like the looks I never wanted to put forth the effort to give it a try. I'll sure look into the replicas.

Top Bottom