Bull-Oak Custom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ironwood

Ironwood

Well here is MkII of this style, this time I used a piece of BullOak ( Allocasuarina luehmannii ).
I used some 12mm aluminium rod to make the components this time, so the finial cap and the centerband are both 12mm, I also made the lower barrel a bit slimmer.
I shortened the upper tube about 7mm, this looks a bit more in proportion with the Cigar clip. I took the shine off the chrome nib and clip to try and match the aluminium. (I notice the nib still has some shiny patches)
2 coats of CA buffed back with steel wool, and Hutts wax to top it off.

CC welcome, as usual.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_9369.jpg
    DSC_9369.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 397
  • DSC_9371.jpg
    DSC_9371.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 399
  • DSC_9373.jpg
    DSC_9373.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 442
  • DSC_9377.jpg
    DSC_9377.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 431
  • DSC_9379.jpg
    DSC_9379.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 414
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very nice work, Brad ... again !!!!

The wood ... being an Aussie wood, is it a true oak (whatever that means) ? ... doesn't seem to have the surface pores we are used to seeing on oak woods that are grown in the Northern Hemisphere.
It also has a much more interesting grain pattern.

Ironwood

Thanks Guys.

The wood ... being an Aussie wood, is it a true oak (whatever that means) ? ... doesn't seem to have the surface pores we are used to seeing on oak woods that are grown in the Northern Hemisphere.
It also has a much more interesting grain pattern.
It's not a " true Oak ", the early settlers called it Oak because of the medullary rays, which give it an Oak like appearance. This one is a bit harder than what you would be used to with an Oak. I think Bull-Oak or Buloke as it's also called, has the highest Janka hardness score of all timber tested. Despite that, it's quite nice to turn with sharp tools.

GaryMGg

She's a beauty.
However, the nib is still a bit long and lean for what you seem to be aiming for.
Would love to see you make the nib and it be a little shorter and a bit broader with a rounder slope.

Top Bottom