Bulgy Cocobolo Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska. I'm not very happy with the bulgy shape of this Cocobolo Cigar. It doesn't look too bad in person, but the photos really make the bulges obvious. I was very happy with the Cocobolo blank though.

Regards,
Dave (egnald)

IMG_0787 Cropped.jpg
IMG_0788 Cropped.jpg
IMG_0789 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I agree with your evaluation. The transitions could be smoother. HOWEVER - excellent job on aligning the figure of the wood. AND - real nice finish. Cocobolo is one of my favorite woods. Love the color - and it changes with time. Yours looks to be a beautiful specimen. Smells good when it's being turned, too.
BUT - probably best to not breathe it much. I've read that it can produce some allergies, etc.

magpens

I don't object to the bulges.

Thing about a Cigar design is that it naturally encourages bulges to some extent because all 4 bushings are of different size, so that "bulges" can be a way of merging the profile ends.

You have kinda emphasized the "bulgy" possibilities just a little bit and I think it looks OK.

Nice work on the grain alignment and on the finish ... I love the shine !!

qquake

I agree with your evaluation. The transitions could be smoother. HOWEVER - excellent job on aligning the figure of the wood. AND - real nice finish. Cocobolo is one of my favorite woods. Love the color - and it changes with time. Yours looks to be a beautiful specimen. Smells good when it's being turned, too.
BUT - probably best to not breathe it much. I've read that it can produce some allergies, etc.
I used to be HIGHLY allergic to cocobolo and padauk. They would make me break out like poison oak. So yes, wear a mask. They're not just for coronavirus.

jttheclockman

Yes do not try to be too cute when doing pen shape. They do not sell any better than a straight BtoB shape. Let the kit define the shape. Not a fan of this pen. I am sure you did a fine job with finish from what we see so go from there.

Top Bottom