Buffing v straight up polishing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
For some people - yes, for others - no.

It depends on each individual's techniques and idiosyncrasies.

Some, many swear by sanding long ways on a pen while others can sand and polish while the blank is turning on the lathe. IN this same manner, the same can be accomplished by polishing on the lathe that is done by buffing wheels, but the difference is the experience one has.

PaulOKC is a machinist. He can hand sharpen a drill bit better than 95% of the people that use a Drill Doctor. However, for the 95% the DD will have to suffice because we don't have the experience he has.

That said, polishing on the lathe is not too much different than buffing for experienced people. One recommendation though - make up a few throw-away blanks, finish them and then buff them. Don't experiment with a buffer on a good blank. Once you get the hang and can do repeated buffs equally well, then you probably will enjoy the buffing wheel..

TonyL

I do not like wet sanding. I like the results of wet sanding, but I do not like to perform it.
I do wet sand when finishing M3 and Trustone, otherwise I use the buffers. I achieve the same results.

Top Bottom