Buffing station, take 2.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

Well the one I was working on seemed to have motor issues so I scraped the small grinder. But I found the perfect cheap lathe to turn into a buffing station for just $15 yesterday. It's from the 50's and rather cheap. It's designed like the ShopSmith's without threads or a morse taper. (yea, that's useless!) But the really cool thing is the headstock shaft is just plain 5/8" CRS. My plan to to make a 5/8" mandrel that 3 wheels and a MDF disk charged with rouge (to polish chisel edges). That's right the entire headstock mandrel will become the new rod. The rod will cost me under $20.00 and I just need to find some tubing that will fit nicely over that. Thre really nice part is that the lathe is a 8" lathe so the wheels will fit perfect and the standard 8" buffing wheel has a 5/8" hole!

Here is the sad little guy I had to rescue.. ;)
Oh, and of course, it will go thru a full refurb & paint before it is made into a buffer.
lathe-d1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Same clean up method so it will look as good as the others. I just have not decided what color to paint it. Don't think the gold is the way to go yet. I am sick of blue & gray but I was looking a can of Cummings beige that just might fit the bill. I think I can find that Dunlop decal too. [:D]

Stay tuned, this will make a nice little buffer I think.

Dario

I know you will do a great job...That is one lucky old lathe to have you as the new owner.

Congrats on the great find. Can't wait to see the final product.

Firefyter-emt

To be honest, I was tempted to pass on this lathe but brought it home only because I made a 50 mile drive to pick it up. (one way, but with my company car) The part that makes it "worthless" is that there is no taper and the tailstock is a fixed cup center that is the tailstock spindle & center in one. (no way to change it)

lathe-d12.jpg

stevers

Hey Lee, another nice buy. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with this one. You are the luckiest man I'v ever seen when it comes to finding lathes, or any tools for that matter.
Let us see the finished product when it's done.

Firefyter-emt

Originally posted by pssherman
<br />If you can remove the tailstock spindle, it can be 'made' into a live center or maybe even a taper.

I'll tell you what... I think you might just be on to something there! I don't need the live center to move, just spin! If I drilled and tapped the small end of one to fit the handle on the tailstock I could just pull it tight into the hole! Anyone have a worn live center they want to get rid of?? [:D]

Hmmm... I wonder how close the old tailstock maandrel from my metal lathe is to this tailstock?? It's a MT-0 an might just be small enough.

As for the grinding wheel, I had briefly thought about that, but I would be grinding metal with sparks and metal dust so that would most likly get into the buffing wheels. I am planning either a hard cover or have my wife make me something to cover the lathe with when not in use. I am leaning towards a square box with a nice plexi window so you can see the buffer inside (just because)

Firefyter-emt

Ok guys I have ramped this project up to the super high end with an idea while working in my shop. I will have two "problem" lathes. This new buffing rig and my little metal lathe. Neither of these really like common shop dust and dirt. Well, if you can picture this I will have both lathes on a cabinet. Typical kitchen cabinet style bases with 2 sets of double doors and shelves inside. Pretty basic & normal (I will be running the buffer with an underslung motor so that will be in there, but other than that just a wide cabinet with probably a two layer MDF top. The "art work" that comes next is just short of genius! I am making square box "tops" over the lathes! They will fill the top area of the baseand be hinged at the top and against the wall. Now as if this was not good enough, the front side will be a frame & panel with plexiglass as the panel! Oh yea, restored lathes under glass! These will secure to the wall in the open position when in use. With the right height of the "cover" they will be far out of the way when the lathes are in use. To top it off, the covers will also catch any "slung" compounds or oils and keep my wall clean. The plexiglass will also allow the light to show thru the cabinet so there are no shadows. Oh this should be good when it's done! Today was the day to bolt the lathe to the floor and build a base for my band saw. The case is in the glue up stage and the lathe is pulled away from the wall a bit more and bolted to the floor. Top that off with a 66 degree day in freaking New England and I say this has been a very good day! [:D]

Firefyter-emt

Hey, when the moment comes you just have to go with it! I have updated my plan to include the "top" to be made from a prefab counter top. Might as well go the easy route, this will give me a nice solid easy to clean base that looks good. Of course, there was the thought about some nice little lights that are bolted to the inside front of the cover which will turn on via pin switches. [;)]

Just wait untill I start my MDF built sandblast cabinet! (It's floor standing, 4 feet wide with an additional 4 foot bolt on extension.) [}:)]

bnoles

Lee,

1000's of words can never describe what a single picture can show. I can hardly wait to see the end result of this endevour. Between you and Kenwc, I stay entertained with new ideas for my own shop.

I just love this section of IAP [}:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom