Buffing Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turnin4fun

I recently bought a Beall Buff from Wood Craft I think, anyhow it says in the instructions that you can use it on a lathe or with an electric motor. I am not fortunate to have two lathes so I have been looking to set it up on an electric motor but I am not sure how.

Can I see some pics of how your buffing systems are setup to give me some ideas?

Thanks,
:confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I have a VERY OLD Craftsman lathe, the style where a large tube forms the bed, that I use for buffing. I got the lathe FREE from crags list! I cut the (tube) bed down to minimum length needed. So I now have a dedicated, variable speed buffing station.

edstreet

I recently bought a Beall Buff from Wood Craft I think, anyhow it says in the instructions that you can use it on a lathe or with an electric motor. I am not fortunate to have two lathes so I have been looking to set it up on an electric motor but I am not sure how.

Can I see some pics of how your buffing systems are setup to give me some ideas?

Thanks,
:confused:

Variable speed bench grinder, $30 well spent.

Dan Masshardt

I have a VERY OLD Craftsman lathe, the style where a large tube forms the bed, that I use for buffing. I got the lathe FREE from crags list! I cut the (tube) bed down to minimum length needed. So I now have a dedicated, variable speed buffing station.
Are those old craftsman lathes variable speed?

turnin4fun

That is what I am looking for.

Thanks

:biggrin:

SteveG

By variable speed, in this case, I meant to indicate that I could change the speeds. It is a 4-step pulley design. I have found I can get better buffing results with somewhat slower speeds. I was responding to the OP with my setup, because that particular style of lathe was cheap, is so well suited to cut down to size, and was sold for many years by Sears, so may be easy to find. I am guessing that a "wanted" listing in the tools for sale section on CL might yield results.
Steve

hazmat74

Are the buffs permanently mounted to the bar? If not, you can get arbors for each buff pretty cheaply and chuck them into a jacobs chuck to spin them in the headstock of your lathe. This is how I currently use my buffing wheels. Have to change each of them out, but it's better than nothing.

Top Bottom