Buffing finish question..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mkorish

What kind of finishes are good to use on a lathe buffer?
I do mostly pens and small stuff with a mix of wood/wood resin mix. Looking to get that eye catching good finish.
I am starting to do small bowls too.

Thanks a head of time...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NJturner

I use a Beall Buff 3 wheel setup on my lathe for wood buffing, using the two provided polish bars (red and white) plus the carnuba wax as the last step. I buff pretty much everything, as it seems to push any finish up a notch. I use CA, GluBoost, Mylands, and occasionally a BLO/shellac finish and all go on the buffer. If I am purely doing a CA or GluBoost finish, I have a second setup of only two wheels I bought from Barry Gross. On this one I use the blue polish bar on the first wheel and nothing on the second. Again, everything goes to the buffer. I think the extra step adds a nice luster to everything, but just be sure to properly prepare your piece before going to the buffer, as the buff should be a 'tweak' to the finish, not a fix. If you get to aggressive with the buffers you will burn through your finish and have a mess on your hands.

egnald

All I can comment on is that I buff CA (regular and GluBoost) as well as some non-finished plastic blanks (primarily Inlace Acrylester and Rhino Plastic). I haven't buffed any friction polished pieces yet, but I would guess that at least the softest buffing wheels would improve it.

Dave

PS I also fashioned a tapered dowel with a handle that I can stick into an open end on tubed blanks to help me hold it when buffing -- helps hold it secure enough to rotate and it keeps my clumsy fingers out of the way.

Reactions: RKB

dogcatcher

Top Bottom