Buffalo Horn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from watch_art

watch_art

All done with the Buffalo Horn pen.
I'm very happy with it.

Yes I know - the section... It was at hand so I grabbed it. I'll make a black one for it soon I think

Closed 5 3/8″ – 5 1/8″.

0023.jpg

0063.jpg

0083.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Nice Shawn!!!!

What happened to the section, did you turn the horn too far and find some different coloration there?:eek:

And where did the 'horn' get the label of "It'll crack soon or later"?
I keep hearing it, but have yet to see but one do it(and you never really know why that happened unless the user came 'clean'). Sounds like a 'bum-rap' to me??

Scott (horn is cool) B

Dee-Dee

Great looking and when you change the section even better. Scott buffalo horn is hair and as such will take moisture and expel moisture, therefore when we turn it thin as we do when making a pen it will have the tendency to crack. I have had some that cracked and some that have not over the years, like snakewood it makes a beautiful pen but comes with a price.

Brooks803

Beautifully done Shawn. Did you put any type of sealing finish on it, like CA?

If it takes threads you'll make it! Love how you aren't restricted in what you try.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Nice one Shawn, and don't let the crack prone materials scare you as much with tubeless pens. Its always been my feeling that cracks are more likely to develop when parts are pressed into the tubes. The brass tubes stretch and put considerable stress on the material. Not saying that it never happens with kitless, just a whole lot less. When making kit pens, you can accomplish the same by making the parts a slide and glue fit rather than a press fit.

watch_art

Hakase make buffalo horn pens so I thought I'd give it a try.

Thanks!

The section will eventually be made from black ebonite to go with the horn.

I've got it inked up with me at school - hoping to give it a bit of torture and abuse to see how it handles. I've heard good things from Hakase, Danitrio, and Taccia users though.

B Wo

That's a great looking pen! I don't mind the coloration at the top; I think it gives it character, especially since you're at the mercy of a natural material.

I've got a buffalo horn blank I've been itching to turn, but I've read many horror stories, or maybe more accurately, discouraging urban legends surrounding it. Once I figure out the kit I want to use, it will be on.

watch_art

It turned super nice - almost like ebonite - you can feel the vein though - it's a lot harder than the rest of it - and it drilled kinda funny due to the grain of the material - but not really too difficult at all.

BSea

Looks great Shawn. Hopefully you can bring it in a few weeks to our meeting. And I'm with Jonathon, what finish (if any) did you use.

Jjartwood

I think that the section gives it a very 20's vibe and looks great!
Nice job on the material and making it work for you,a crack might be the worst case
scenario but would only add to the vintage look.
Nice pen
Mark

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I turned a lot of buffalo horn----loved the pens.

They all cracked--some several months, but cracked. I tend to believe--differential of expansion in heat between brass and buffalo horn.

Top Bottom