Budgeroo Kitless Rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ironwood

Ironwood

A friend has been pestering me about making a pen that uses a Parker rollerball refill for about a year now. He does not like the universal style rollerball refills I normally use ( Schmidt 888 's )
I bought a Parker brand rollerball refill a few months ago, and when he said he was visiting on the weekend, I though I would surprise him .

The first blank I started with was a nice piece of BullOak, but it cracked when I was drilling. The next blank I picked up was a piece of Budgeroo, a lot of the figure that made the blank look great, turned off when I was bringing it down to size. It still has some subtle figuring, just not as much as I was hoping for.
The wood got one coat of a Danish oil type finish burnished in on the lathe, and one coat of paste wax.

The pen barrel is fully sleeved with black Acrylic Acetate, the section and the cap are Black Ebonite. The clip is a new style for me, that I have been thinking about for a while now, I used 2.5mm stainless steel wire and flattened the end with a hammer on the anvil.

I had to rush things to get it finished in time, and also due to me dislocating a finger on my right hand on Friday ( still hurts, and not much movement ), the finish is not the best. It becomes more apparent with close up photos, thats for sure :oops: .

He is happy with it, and seeing that it was a gift, its out the door already.

The pen barrel is 13mm at the thickest point, the cap is 14.5mm, cap threads are 12x0.8mm double start, uncaps with one and a half turns.
Total capped length is 135mm.

DSC_2036.jpg

DSC_2043.jpg

DSC_2040.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@Ironwood

Question for you, Brad. . . To replace the refill, the section needs to be removable, it seems to me.
To facilitate that, you could make the the section plus coupler (to the barrel) all one piece and thread the wood barrel.
Or you could have section & coupler separate, gluing the coupler into the wood barrel, and thread the section into the coupler.

Which did you do ? . If you threaded the wood, how well does the Budgeroo take the threads ?

Ironwood

@Ironwood

Question for you, Brad. . . To replace the refill, the section needs to be removable, it seems to me.
To facilitate that, you could make the the section plus coupler (to the barrel) all one piece and thread the wood barrel.
Or you could have section & coupler separate, gluing the coupler into the wood barrel, and thread the section into the coupler.

Which did you do ? . If you threaded the wood, how well does the Budgeroo take the threads ?
Mal, the sleeve is epoxied into the wood barrel, it has a female 10mm thread in the end for the section to screw into.
I think doing it this way will give the timber the best chance to remain stable.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Lovely work. I appreciate the time involved. And the subtle grain in the Budgeroo is still very nice.

Thanks for sharing.

Ironwood

Lovely work. I appreciate the time involved. And the subtle grain in the Budgeroo is still very nice.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Mark. Budgeroo is a beautiful timber, nice to work too, unlike some of our other hard inland timbers.
Doesn't get much airplay, because it's not a commercial species.

Top Bottom