Buckthorn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DB in VT

I just found out that I have buckthorn. Although invasive, the wood is beautiful. Has anyone had experience with this wood? It is very dense. If it dries well I will try turning it.

31798D10-3721-4B75-B808-506C5EB1688F.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska. According to the Wood Database, it has working characteristics similar to Cherry. The only warning to take note of is that checking can occur if it is dried too fast. From the picture you posted it is a very attractive piece of wood.

Regards,
Dave

greggas

Buckthorn turns great....like many dense woods....can get a bit of end grain checking , but usually handles well by taking care in drying ....wax, bag, etc...just dont use the microwave to dry it tends to crack it

Don't think we have it here in Michigan. I saw it for the first time on the "Tradesman" channel as he was getting some out of a field
(
). He said it was very invasive and hard to eradicate once established. He also said it was good for turning and tool handles.

Nice looking piece of wood and a great video. He covered everything really well and his mention of painting the ends was right on. I go to Lowes in the paint section and buy a gallon of their mistakes (cheap) latex paint and it works great for sealing the ends. This years color is a very dark blue and when asked why the ends were blue, from someone "camping" down the road, my wife told them it was blue stain pine. Poor lady didn't have a clue as to the joke, but we did explain why we painted the ends and she understood. I cut my pieces of Rocky Mountain Maple a bit longer than needed and paint the ends and let it sit for at least a year before doing with it. This wood should turn out beautiful!

Top Bottom