Buckeye Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nebens

First attempt with stabilized wood. Managed to turn blank round but not comfortable with proceeding. Round carbide seemed to work best but would welcome any tips or suggestions for drilling, final turning, and finishing. Thanks.

Ernie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

I'm sorry Ernie, but, I don't understand your question, I always drill my blanks before turning them round. And I use a drill press myself, where a lot of turner's use the lathe to drill their blanks.

Len

nebens

Len, I usually turn my blanks round and then drill on lathe with collet chuck. I'm just looking for any tips for working with stabilized wood.

Ernie

1shootist

I turn all my blanks round first then drill to needed size as you.
Asfar as turning stabilzed blanks, I dont do them any different than non stabilzed, I notice more "dust" and I may have to take smaller cuts at times but the process doesn't really change.
I use carbide and I'll trim the blank down fairly close to size at which point I switch to a squared carbide with radius and finish.

greenacres2

Yep, i approach them like wood (as opposed to acrylic etc) as well--though i do as 1shootist does. For non-stabilized wood i finish with a skew in a scraping presentation. As to finishes--for pens usually CA, but sometimes boiled linseed oil followed by wax or friction polish. For bottle stoppers, usually friction polish--though i've just begun experimenting with sawdust burnishing followed by a paste wax finger burnished in. Looks great, and SHOULD be okay since it's stabilized. We'll find out about the longevity!!
earl

nebens

Keith, the wood produced more dust than other woods and was more difficult to turn partly due to the blank being out of square and slightly
twisted.
Ernie

Top Bottom