Buckeye Burl with African Blackwood Caps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Chief TomaToe

Chief TomaToe

It's been ahwile since I shared some photos of some pens, so I figured I would share these. I had an order placed from a lady I met at a craft fair earlier this year who liked the buckeye burl but didn't like the bigger profile. She liked the trimline pen hardware instead, and although that kit is lower on the list of ones I would use my nice buckeye burl blanks on I didn't complain since I charge based on my raw material costs anyways. Plus, it turns out, I think they look quite nice!

I have learned quickly you never know what is hiding in buckeye burl, and I wasn't optimistic about being successful turning it that thin. So, I made a suggestion to add African Blackwood end caps to the blanks. Paired with the gold I think it all came together well, even though I wasn't too sure at first.

When I met them to deliver their pens (since they live in town), her husband was there and was so impressed he decided to order nine more pens for their family Christmas presents! My greatest sales success so far has come from returning customers who place a custom order.

As always, your comments and critiques are welcome.

Attachments

• buckeyetrim1.jpg
    buckeyetrim1.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 265
  • bukeyetrim2.jpg
    bukeyetrim2.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 282
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom