Buckeye Burl on a Bandit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

Last week while up at Exotic Blanks for the monthly Zoom demo I was gifted a couple blanks from a huge Buckeye Burl Ed was cutting up and stabilizing to list for sale.

I finished this pen today on their new Bandit pen set. I had enough scrap left over to make a matching finial and center band, all finished with Gluboost.

I'm very happy with the character in the blank. Especially since I just grabbed a couple off the top and didn't sort through them. Thanks again Ed!

Attachments

• IMG_7949.jpeg
    IMG_7949.jpeg
    293.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_7951.jpeg
    IMG_7951.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_7950.jpeg
    IMG_7950.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 134
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

Very Nice! I like how the buckeye burl has enough color variation that you could make the center band and finial with pieces of a darker accent color. It really dresses up the pen!

Kenny Durrant

Thanks for sharing John. I like the pen and have an interest in the kit. I'm a fan of the Triton because it seems to me to be a classier kit with the accents. I like what you've done with the center band. I've seen your demos on doing custom finials so I guess it's about time I give it a shot. Great work.

JohnU

Thanks for all the comments. This new "Bandit" set is very easy to make custom. The stock finial comes out with an easy tap on the inside of its stem base, and the center band is a fixed groove. I've glued other objects in it but this time I drilled the wood on the lathe, parted it off at the thickness, broke it in half and glued it back in place on the metal center band piece. I turned and finished it on the lathe because the metal is naked stainless steel. Here's a few pics of the process.

Attachments

• IMG_7943.jpeg
    IMG_7943.jpeg
    256.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7946.jpeg
    IMG_7946.jpeg
    244.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7954.jpeg
    IMG_7954.jpeg
    734.2 KB · Views: 31

MikeG

Thanks for all the comments. This new "Bandit" set is very easy to make custom. The stock finial comes out with an easy tap on the inside of its stem base, and the center band is a fixed groove. I've glued other objects in it but this time I drilled the wood on the lathe, parted it off at the thickness, broke it in half and glued it back in place on the metal center band piece. I turned and finished it on the lathe because the metal is naked stainless steel. Here's a few pics of the process.
Thanks for the pictures of the center band process.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks John!!!!

You are correct, that was not a particularly "nice" blank, but your pen is certainly "NICE"!

As always, the fit and finish is spot on. So the blank just looks like it "belongs" to that pen.

EXCELLENT WORK, again!!
Ed

Top Bottom