bubbles in snakeskin blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

babyblues

I've cast maybe 30 or so sets of snakeskin blanks and almost all of them have very small bubbles trapped next to the skin. When I hold the blanks up to the light, I can see dozens of tiny air bubbles next to the skin. Is that acceptable or there a way to eliminate most of them? None of them are very big, and as a matter of fact, unless you study the blanks closely, you can't see most of them. I expect that there will be a few given that the skins aren't perfectly smooth, but I'm seeing more than I want to. Am I just expecting too much or am I missing something?

I'm using PR and Resinsaver molds. I haven't had any problems with the PR separating from the skins. I've tried painting them with raw resin, coating them with CA, wiping them down with DNA and MEK and acetone, and casting them without doing anything to them beforehand. I also use a sonic cleaner to heat the resin before I cast. I will say that my results seem to be the same no matter what I do, except for that time I tried using surface curing wax, but let's not talk about that. :D

seamus7227

Been there, experienced That! I use pressure to 65lbs. The main reason i used CA on my skins prior to casting was so that (in theory) the bubbles would glide over the skin and rise to the top. I have since learned that it really makes no difference as long as I give the skins ample time to cure from gluing them to the tubes. Now they come out flawless! Once in a blue moon i will have issues but it is generally a heat/curing issue.

Top Bottom