Broken Lag bolt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasboy1

Hi Folks, I recently relocated my heavy steel hose reel to an addition to my house. The painters removed it to paint behind it and when they reinstalled it they broke one of the 1/4" lag bolts 1/2' below the surface of the wall. I can't access it with any grinding tools to flatten it so I can drill it out or use a screw extractor. Does anyone know any other tricks? Should I use a smaller drill and make an angled hole alongside the buried bolt?
Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

You definetly can use a screw extractor. Just takes some patience. Need to get a hole started and even if it is a rough surface you should be able to drill a starter hole. Possibly take a center punch and make an indent. This should give you a flat spot. Or even use an awl to give acenter point. One or the other will work. Use a small bit and steady your drill and just get it started. Then step up little at a time till you get to right size bit. You can do it. Have confidence in you.

Sly Dog

You could try this:
4586D72B-148A-47C5-82EC-AC4A07A3AE4A.jpeg
$13.00 on Amazon. Another tool I bought years ago "just in case" but have not used yet. 🤷🏼‍♂️

carlmorrell

I have had very good luck with "ez-out" extractors. In fact one made me so proud, I carried the extracted bolt in my pocket for years.

Charlie_W

I'm assuming this is on the exterior of your house and there may be some sort of siding involved so this may or may not be an option. Also assuming the lag is either in a stud or joist band board.

Use a deep hole saw in your drill, remove the center bit and drill with the hole saw surrounding the broken lag bolt. This will cut a "plug" of wood with the lag inside. If needed, use a heavy screw driver to break off the plug after drilling and remove the plug. Then turn a dowel/plug and glue into the hole. After dry, re-drill for your new lag bolt.

Hope this helps.

Chasboy1

Charlie, that's an excellent idea, however my house is stucco. I do have a 1" masonry hole saw, so after I remove the reel, I will be able to do closer recon.

Top Bottom