Breakfast table,pecan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from moyehow

moyehow

Made my first Breakfast table. All out of pecan. Cut my blocks and glued them onto birch plywood(the only thing that is not pecan). Covered edge of plywood with thin piece of pecan. Turned pedistal and made design in the legs with router. Stained to bring out the grain. I think pecan is a beautiful wood to work with, especially cause i did not pay anything for it.

DSC_0390.jpg

DSC_0394.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

awolfe

That is beautiful. Now to make my dear sweet husband make me one....oh wait, maybe I should just make it myself. It might get done quicker since he has so many other projects:tongue: I really would love to learn how to do something like that.

moyehow

Man that is sweet. Did you hand carve the base? How thick is the pecan on top of the table?

I can't remember how thick the top pieces were. You can get an idea from the picture. I'm thinking close to 1 inch. I did not hand carve the base. I cheated. I used a router and a template. I was trying to get it done in time for her B-day. I'm not that good of carver and it would have taken me forever.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Beautiful work! Nicely done!

How thick was the pecan pieces that are over the ply? How dry was it? I did the similar with cherry 30+ years ago before I leaned what "wood movement" was. :frown: I used 10 year old air dried 3/4 in cherry over 3/4 ply. It is a great table but there are separations that occur when extended periods of dry season come. A regulated environment (from air conditioner / heater) control the huge humidity swings of weather and help eliminate some of the expanding-contracting wood movement.

moyehow

Beautiful work! Nicely done!

How thick was the pecan pieces that are over the ply? How dry was it? I did the similar with cherry 30+ years ago before I leaned what "wood movement" was. :frown: I used 10 year old air dried 3/4 in cherry over 3/4 ply. It is a great table but there are separations that occur when extended periods of dry season come. A regulated environment (from air conditioner / heater) control the huge humidity swings of weather and help eliminate some of the expanding-contracting wood movement.

There has been some slight movement, but not enough to take away from the table. The wood came from a cab. shop. It had been in there for almost 15 years. The guy just wanted to get it out of the shop, so he gave it to me. Next time I will put the pieces inside the house for a few days and get out some of the moisture before i glue it up. The pieces are about 1 inch thick.

Thanks for all the comments.

Top Bottom