Brazilian Cherry Twist

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Wmcullen

Wmcullen

Unsure if this is right or wrong... but I went ahead and used a can of red rustoleum on a blank I ran through my twisting router jig.
Then I turned and finished with an ebony center band. Thanks for looking!
Cullen
post21.012.jpg

post21.003.jpg

post21.002.jpg

post21.014.jpg

post21.015.jpg

post21.012.jpg

Attachments

• post21.001.jpg
    post21.001.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 102
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

civilwartalk

Not sure about the durability of the Rustoleum Paint on it's own, but that aside, I like the technique.

I could see an alcohol dye application here that would be maybe more appealing for most wood enthusiasts!

Wmcullen

Not sure about the durability of the Rustoleum Paint on it's own, but that aside, I like the technique.
I could see an alcohol dye application here that would be maybe more appealing for most wood enthusiasts!
Good feedback! I wanted to try the technique and see what happened. Finding a durable pigment is one of the things I need to investigate. Thanks for the alcohol dye suggestion.
So far it's holding up... but it's only been 48 hours. ;)

Kcimdrib

Good feedback! I wanted to try the technique and see what happened. Finding a durable pigment is one of the things I need to investigate. Thanks for the alcohol dye suggestion.
So far it's holding up... but it's only been 48 hours. ;)
How do you learn if you don't try out different things. Top marks for effort its different for me Red takes your eye straight away maybe something less striking but very well done.

MRDucks2

You are kinda heading the direction I will explore, Cullen. I wasn't sure I was interested in the jig until I got some ideas of not using it just for a twist end result but combining the twist with other media, then producing the end result.

Wmcullen

How do you learn if you don't try out different things.
Agreed. I'm a strong advocate of creative experimentation in art. The payoffs outweigh the costs.
I got some ideas of not using it just for a twist end result but combining the twist with other media, then producing the end result.
Your point is similar to Kcimdrib's... finding those areas we haven't ourselves yet explored is a fun place to look for projects.
1 idea + 1 idea = 3 ideas.
I'm playing with some projects now where I use the jig to dig trenches and inlay materials. I've had a couple of pens I really enjoy... and a few I have buried deep in the trash can. (Like "Mariana Trench" deep.) I'm writing it up now and will share soon.
And Hooked, up in Boston, has been playing with a very exciting use of the jig. We've been communicating about it and I'm eager for him to share once a few more bugs get worked out.

MRDucks2

Agreed. I'm a strong advocate of creative experimentation in art. The payoffs outweigh the costs.

Your point is similar to Kcimdrib's... finding those areas we haven't ourselves yet explored is a fun place to look for projects.
1 idea + 1 idea = 3 ideas.
I'm playing with some projects now where I use the jig to dig trenches and inlay materials. I've had a couple of pens I really enjoy... and a few I have buried deep in the trash can. (Like "Mariana Trench" deep.) I'm writing it up now and will share soon.
And Hooked, up in Boston, has been playing with a very exciting use of the jig. We've been communicating about it and I'm eager for him to share once a few more bugs get worked out.
It was actually your photo of what looks like a 1/8" bit in the router that sent me off on a tangent.

Top Bottom