Brass Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from crokett

crokett

A few weeks ago I did an aluminum fountain pen. Here is the brass version. These are the Commander kits. There's no finish other than polish. The picture hides some of the detail but the pens have a brushed brass look. I prefer that to polished, and they will not show wear as quickly.

1565020477932.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

moke

Very well done, and very distinctive! Could you spray on a light coat of poly or something to keep it from tarnishing? It's so nice now, I would just hate to see it weather....

DrD

I keep going back to look at your really nice pens and something caught my eye. How did you get the section and the receiver to look like brass? Did you turn and thread them as well?

crokett

I keep going back to look at your really nice pens and something caught my eye. How did you get the section and the receiver to look like brass? Did you turn and thread them as well?

Careful planning. :) The kit is the Commander in gold, and the color is close to the brass, plus the lighting in the photo makes it look even more so. That is another reason I finished the brass with a brushed look, it more closely matches the kit finish.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Careful planning. :) The kit is the Commander in gold, and the color is close to the brass, plus the lighting in the photo makes it look even more so. That is another reason I finished the brass with a brushed look, it more closely matches the kit finish.
On some chrome (and other color) pen components, if one accidentally buffs them a tad too much (DAMHIKT :oops:) , the brass base shows through. DrD, I was wondering the same thing.

GAW9576

Those are fantastic looking pens.
I've seen videos of turning brass by hand on a metal lathe. The guy said there wer types of brass this works with and some that don't.
I would like to make a few small hand turned brass parts. What type of brass do I need to look for. The parts will be a small threaded insert for a razor handle.

AbleSnail

Beautifully finished. They look beautiful. Can I ask about the thread of cap? What size or designation does the tap / die have? I do not hide - I would like to copy :)

Fred Bruche

Those are fantastic looking pens.
I've seen videos of turning brass by hand on a metal lathe. The guy said there wer types of brass this works with and some that don't.
I would like to make a few small hand turned brass parts. What type of brass do I need to look for. The parts will be a small threaded insert for a razor handle.

I have turned 360 brass on a wood lathe into small threaded inserts, works fine.

Top Bottom