Branding pen kits to be my own

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Amihai

Hello,
As part of my marketing attempts, I had the idea of branding pen kits (via engraving my logo on the pen caps or my business name on the center bands, for example).

Did anyone here tried to do something similar?
If so, what manufacturer of high quality pen kits will agree to such engraving on an order of reasonable amount of pen kits?

(Or, will it be more affordable to by a good laser engraver and do that job myself?)

Thank you very much,
Amihai.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

You will not get a pen company to do it unless you start your own company. They are not your pens. Some people have incorporated a small tag within the blank somewhere. Some people have engraved the back of a clip. Some people have engraved their own. Not sure why you want to if you are using kits. Unless this helps with warrenty work.

It may be a question of how many you would have to buy at one time to get someone to do it. The idea of having something distinct to create a brand is not a bad idea.

leehljp

Member Liaison
This idea comes up about every 3 to 5 years, so it is not new. The tooling in general will be very expensive for each unique stamp or engraving at the size required on a pen. I used to have a link years ago to a company that made micro stamps (metal) for stamping - that would work backside of the clip. It seems like it was $200 - $300 for a "single name" stamp 13 - 14 years ago.

greenacres2

Depending on the quality of the metal finish, I would think it could lead to plating failure, creating a weak spot for it to flake or peel away from one of the layers.
Yeah, that was my first thought. A company like Silver Pen Parts (@mredburn) may be able to accommodate a branding request on a pretty high end level. Same with Diamondcast (@McKenzie Penworks) doing stainless now. We definitely have some members capable of producing at quantities that are manageable for an independent producer, but not at a slimline or funline price point.
earl

Yep... as was mentioned you really don't want to do this with plating. Especially the cheap plating you'll find on a lot of the Chinese manufactured kits.

We're actually set up now where we can do a completely custom kit in relatively small quantities. (500 or so) That said, we don't do metal casting, it's all machined so it's not like we can do themed stuff with kittens and puppies on them. Basically if you can do it with a lathe we can do it. We can also mill things... but that gets expensive. Engraving is the one thing I'm not set up for YET. In bulk it shouldn't be too expensive and since our parts (including the clip) are all solid steel, you can get a nice deep engraving on there that can even be filled with enamel if you've got someone to do that. The clip, or the top of the finial are the two easiest things to engrave... from there you can go rotational and do the bands, etc.

Painfullyslow

Another option is a waterslide decal if you wanted it somewhere on the body/cap of the pen. Not nearly as cool as a custom finial but also 1/1000th of the cost.

Aces-High

You could do something like this.

Attachments

• 84412979-E48A-4A6B-8D83-66EE7CC5E0E5.png
    84412979-E48A-4A6B-8D83-66EE7CC5E0E5.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 143
Top Bottom