Branches - for Buttons?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Pens By Scott

Pens By Scott

Hi folks, been a fairly long time since my last post...

I was recently asked if I make Wooden Buttons... Well, not wanting to give up a chance at something new... I took to Youtube...
So, now, i'm looking for branches... and advice from anyone who's made wooden buttons.

Natural edge? do I get rid of the bark? Looking for Figure (Keep in mind, I live in Western Canada... we have lots of spruce... some crab apple trees but nothing to exotic... naturally occurring that its).
Where would I source such things? Working with Green wood? Should I dry it first? some suggestions would be to boil them in an oil (thinking mineral oil)... Any and all suggestions welcome!

Scott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

Unless you're a fan of massive conflagrations, I wouldn't be boiling anything in oil.
If I were to make wooden buttons, I'd use dry wood that doesn't split easily.

Like Elm for instance. I'd turn it to the diameter I need, then slice off the buttons & drill the holes one by one until I had as many as I needed.
Sand them smooth, coat with poly & be done with it.

KenV

Buttons commonly have a utility function, and the size and shape relate to the use/function. Buttons in a hand knitted items need to be smooth so as to not snag the fibers.

Most I have made have been face grain. Have also made toggle style for sloppers.

Top Bottom