Bradford Pear Goblet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from byounghusband

byounghusband

I got a bunch of Bradford PEar from a neighbor and after cuting it all up into blanks of various kinds, I HAD to turn some!! There is nothing like turning fresh, wet Bradford Pear!!

This goblet is about 6" tall and was straight and round when I finished it. It was sanded to about 600 and spray lacquered and burnished, then buffed. I used a Dremel tool to polish the inside of the goblet.

I set it on the counter overnight and the next morning, it had warped and distorted. Kinda cool!!:smile-big:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

byounghusband

Alex,
Yes, that is exactly why it warped. I really like turning wet wood, except for pens, because it will come out different...... Bowls will come out unround as well....

Fred

Nice turning. :biggrin:

The next time you want to turn wet wood, try boiling it first ... one hour for each inch of thickness. You can always pre-turn it down about 50% of your finished dimensions and then boil it. IF you pre-turn it and have extremely long and thin sections like the stem of the goblet ... just don't turn the stem way down at all before boiling. :cool:

It will dry faster than normal and I doubt that it probably will not wrap at all. Read about this method developed by fellow IAM member Steven Russell at his website located here:
http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/woodturning-education-articles.html

Look on the left side for BOILING WOOD. Read his other articles as well as they are extremely informative. Happy turnings!

Top Bottom