Bracelets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from fishlux

fishlux

A brace of bracelets here. Black walnut, maple, red oak, and Honeylocust. The maple is salvaged from a steeple that fell after 100 years. Customer hasn't decided which she wants, but my wife is hoping it's not the walnut or locust.

Attachments

• Bracelets 2.jpg
    Bracelets 2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 173
  • Bracelets Walnut.jpg
    Bracelets Walnut.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 172
  • Bracelets Church Maple.jpg
    Bracelets Church Maple.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Bracelets Red Oak.jpg
    Bracelets Red Oak.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 135
  • Bracelets Honeylocust.jpg
    Bracelets Honeylocust.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 160
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elody21

Hi Scott,
I really like the bracelets! Good job.
What is the diameter of the inside? Is there a standard size or do they come in a couple of sizes?
Alice

fishlux

Alice, these are all approx 2.75" diameter. That's the size that fits my wife :)
There aren't really standard sizes, but I'm finding that 2.5" fits over small hands, 2.75" medium to large, and I'll try a 3" pretty soon.

One concern is that these are face-grain turned, so there are weak spots at the end grain. The wood is still 1/4" thick (the oak is closer to 1/2") so it has some strength, but It's likely to break if pressure is applied at the wrong place.

fernhills

Alice, these are all approx 2.75" diameter. That's the size that fits my wife :)
There aren't really standard sizes, but I'm finding that 2.5" fits over small hands, 2.75" medium to large, and I'll try a 3" pretty soon.

One concern is that these are face-grain turned, so there are weak spots at the end grain. The wood is still 1/4" thick (the oak is closer to 1/2") so it has some strength, but It's likely to break if pressure is applied at the wrong place.

So would one solid piece 3" round sliced off the end be better?. Then it would be expensive to find pieces that thick. Would pieces glued up to that thickness work?. Carl

fishlux

Carl,

The first few I made, and I think the walnut too, were from branches 3"-4" diameter. Since the pith is removed, there's much less danger of splitting.

I think the most efficient and possibly prettiest way, is glue to pieces 3"-4" square and 1/2"-3/4" thick. Set them so the grain is offset 90 degrees. That gives you a very strong piece. The down side is that you have a line running around the bracelet and the grain looks odd. Using a piece of contrasting veneer makes that less an issue.

I can try to do a tutorial, but I won't have time until the weekend.

rjwolfe3

I see you are in Delaware. If I drive down will you show me how to make them so that don't split right before you get to the end, lol. The first one I did made me so mad I punched the wall when it split in two.

Top Bottom