Boxwood Nib Holder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Valleyboy

Valleyboy

A nice little weekend project.

I've had some lovely boxwood for a while so thought I'd use it to make a dip pen/nib holder. I paired it with one of my favourite cellulose acetates and a sterling silver ring. I did this not just for aesthetic reasons but because I've made nib holders entirely from wood in the past and the nib end can get messy and difficult to clean if the wood comes into contact with the ink, which is somewhat inevitable when dipping the pen.

Also it's nice to get on the lathe and do something a bit different as I've been making a lot of similar shaped pens for a while. So making a longer tapering piece from wood tested me a little. I haven't done this for a while.

Overall I like it but the metal ferrule that the nib slots into isn't very pretty and you can see the rim sticking out, so the next one I make I will rebate into the end this so it's less obvious.

I do like this material combination and will make a fountain pen to match.

Cheers
Ash

66E47955-7E3E-424B-B93F-598C5830061C.jpeg81E83624-8174-4A2C-8269-8DFBEBD35FE9.jpeg527A91C9-0940-4923-BBB5-62ABE4EE7062.jpeg920F9210-FC5A-4438-B5E2-D9F0014B602A.jpeg90E4AA59-98BA-437F-A87E-2C3AF441BE4E.jpeg

Valleyboy

Bit of a bummer when the nib holder hardware is substandard to the pen maker's abilities.
I know, I didn't even think about it as I was making it. But once I took the close-up photos it was a real "oh no" moment. 😂😂

I think I'll fix it and do it properly.

JamesC

I know, I didn't even think about it as I was making it. But once I took the close-up photos it was a real "oh no" moment. 😂😂

I think I'll fix it and do it

I think I'll fix it and do it properly.
looks great! Hard to do any thing with those nib holders. They have to be replaced periodically if they are used often. At least the ones I put in a straight pen. Nice oblique holders are a bit tricky. I would like to see your approach to one of those. This one looks great!
Jim

Top Bottom