Box Elder Hollow Form

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Thanks to a member of my site for posting his knock your eye out beautiful cedar hollow form a couple days ago he gave me the inspiration to try one myself although mine doesn't come close to the beauty of his. This piece of box elder has a story behind it but we won't go into that now.
I turned it yesterday afternoon and applied lacquer sealer and then four coats of lacquer an hour or two apart up until midnight. Then I gave is a little buffing this morning

374015274.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

Outstanding work, how tall is it?

Thanks again for all the nice comments

It is just a small one slightly over 5" both wide and tall.

The owner of a site which I was a moderator on about 6 or 8 years ago sent me that piece of wood . It was about 6" square by 6" tall and sealed on both ends with only latex paint. That site is no longer in existence .
The piece sat in a box under my bench for years until I re-discovered it and decided to try something with it .
It sure was hard and dry and took about an hour of careful hollowing out. The walls are about 1/8" thick and when the wood started "talking " to me I decided to not go any thinner.
The chunk of wood was quite heavy for its size but the H F is amazingly light in weight now.

I have only made three or four hollow forms before this one and although they don't serve much of a purpose they do bring a good price as an art form to sit up on a shelf and look pretty :wink:

Last edited:

broitblat

I don't know what the inspiration looked like, but that piece is spectacular!

I haven't tried any hollow forms, yet, your work gives me something to aspire to.

-Barry

Top Bottom