Bowling ball pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alan Morrison

Alan Morrison

First pen from one of the lawn bowls I was given to make some pens from.
Sanded to 600 Abranet, cleaned with Methylated spirits and buffed with White Diamond. A coat of Renaissance Wax applied. IMG_0167.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I had to look twice at the ball and the sections - a wooden lawn ball? Are the what is referred as Bocce balls? I so, I have bag old very old ones when the kids were still living here.

duncsuss

I had to look twice at the ball and the sections - a wooden lawn ball? Are the what is referred as Bocce balls? I so, I have bag old very old ones when the kids were still living here.
Not bocce - which are typically small and thrown in a high arc. These are bigger, and internally weighted so they roll in a curved path.

Alan Morrison

Obviously Lawn bowls is not a game played in America, though is immensely popular in UK. As @duncsuss said above they were made with a bias so they travel in a curve. It is my understanding that modern bowls are being made without the bias and from a composite, resulting in a lot of the old wooden bowls being of little value. I have picked 8 Lignum bowls up at an auction for £8.
Saying that, they are pretty rough on tools. I will have to change my bandsaw blade when I have finished cutting.

Hoping that you are both going good.
Alan

Top Bottom