Bowl turning ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

fshenkin94

I have just tried turning a few bowls and am running into the same problem each time. I turn the outside of the bowl and it goes fine. I then turn it and chuck it to turn the inside. When I turn on the lathe, I am finding that the bowl is not turning round. This has happened a few times now and I am really getting frustrated. Anyone have any suggestions?

bca1313

How are you chucking the bowl when you turn it around? Are you turning the tenon that you are grabbing with the chuck while you are turning the outside? If not then you may not have the round aspects of each lined up which would force you to round it out again.

Depending upon what chuck you use you may be able to use the wormscrew to hold it in the chuck while doning most of the outside and turn your tenon to put in the chuck.

You could also try turning between centers in the beginning until it is round and turn your tenon. Then mount it in the chuck and do both the outside and inside while chuck mounted.

Without knowing more I would think that the issue is in the area you are mounting in the chuck and how that correlates to the rest of the blank.

One other thought. If you are turning wood that is very wet it may move in a very little amount of time.

Try some different ways and find out what works best for you.

Happy turning,

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom