bowl turning question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

schellfarms

I'm trying to turn a bowl, and in order to turn the outside profile, I attached it to a faceplate with screws. Well, one of the screws broke off slightly below the surface of the wood.[V] How do I safely remove it??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

Since this part of the bowl will eventually be turned away you could use a drill bit and drill around it and pull it out with pliers.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Chances are if you were using a faceplate and the screw broke, you are in the process of removing the faceplate to hollow the inside...could be wrong on assumption, this is usually just where mine break. Then hopefully you shaped the outside AND have turned a foot or a tenon to grab the bowl with the chuck. If this is the case, then mount the bowl on the chuck, hollow out as close as you can to the broken screw on each side, and grab the screw with plier such as vise grips.

beamer

Just another idea to throw into the mix - plug cutters work good for clearing material around the screw if you have 'em. Not sure i'd try it of the screw was a much of an angle, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom