Bowl From Board Using Exotic Wood Scraps .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DJBPenmaker

That is really effective use of scraps and a lovely bowl with a super finish. Might I ask what the finish is?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

W.Y.

That is really effective use of scraps and a lovely bowl with a super finish. Might I ask what the finish is?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Finish is shellac as sanding sealer and three coats of gloss lacquer .

Here is the board I glued up yesterday to make the bowl .

tbfoto

[/quote]

How did you get that bowl from that one board? Please do explain. I'm lost.

W.Y.

How did you get that bowl from that one board? Please do explain. I'm lost.[/QUOTE]

Using a Ringmaster Lathe and a few other tools . Sorry I don'y have time to post the whole procedure here because I an going on holidays in a couple days . But I have the largest RM Lathe Turning forum in the world on this type of wood art with tutorials and videos . It is one of the many boards on various types of woodworking in my Woodworking Friends Site .
Started a glue up for another one of my Dizzy Bowls and will finish making it when I get back because they are selling well for over $100.00 each .
The one shown in this topic is only $79.00 and waiting for a reply from someone that wants to buy it .

W.Y.

Thanks for the comments .

I sold that one today at a little afternoon church sale in town for $89.00. It was a part of my $629.00 take for the 3.5 hours I was there .
Out of the five "dizzy" bowls I have shown in previous threads , I only have one left so have to get busy and start another one .
The finish on that one was like glass and I had to tell the customer to treat it gently for about 48 hours. Lacquer dries fast but still has a little curing time to fully harden .

Marmotjr

Ah, I see! It's an economy style bowl, correct?

The board is cut into rings at a bevel, and then stacked and glued. If you look closely, you can see the 'segments'.

W.Y.

Ah, I see! It's an economy style bowl, correct?

The board is cut into rings at a bevel, and then stacked and glued. If you look closely, you can see the 'segments'.

Economy is right in being made from a flat board and sells 20 times easier and for a much higher price with all the different lamination and segmenting options compared to hogging all the wood off the outside and from the inside of a big block of wood ..
I have a comparison in my site where I cut a large burl in half and made a "hogged out" bowl from one half. From the other half I sliced it into eight slices on the band saw and made eight bowls . None of them as pretty as my multi wood segmented or laminated ones but it was just to demonstrate a point on the two different methods .

Top Bottom