BOWL BLANKS FOR DUMMIES

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drcal

Drcal

I am mostly a pen turner but I want to try other stuff. I have dabbled in turning small clocks and candle holders but I am not great at it. Recently I purchased some beautiful blanks- no cracks - great blanks, but I have never turned some of the woods.

The ones I got and have never turned are
-sassafrass
-honey locust
-shag bark hickory

Can someone help me with which one is the easiest to turn?
and
Which one finishes best?

Thanks.

Carmen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Keller

Hickory and locust are both fairly hard woods. I've not turned sassafras, but I'll bet it's the softest of the three... As a bonus, I'm told it smells nice(root beerish). Hickory and locust both take a nice finish, and I've seen sassafras finished very nicely. YMMV

bitshird

The Shag Bark Hickory will finish up nicely, but is pretty hard, the Honey Locust is also hard but will finish better than the hickory as it usually has a tighter grain, the sassafras is beautiful not extremely hard, fairly close grain and smells great in the shop. what type finish do you plan on using??

Drcal

not sure about a finish. I haven't turned anything bigger than a bottle stopper in years. Any suggestions, Ken? .......or anyone?

Carmen

keithkarl2007

Depends on the bowls intended use. If it is for food, use a food safe finish, walnut oil can be used but i think there could be a problem if the person using it has a nut allergy.

Top Bottom