Bowl Attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fibonacci

Fibonacci

Rockler had bocote blanks on sale last weekend, so I picked this up as a practice piece. It looked like it had decent grain on the shelf, so I bought it and brought it home. I glued it onto a waste block, started turning and was very unhappy to discover that it had a 1/4" split running 2/3 through the piece. Not only that, but it had been there when they coated it, because it was completely filled with wax. Needless to say, I was not happy.

Given that Rockler is 2.5 hours away, I decided to turn it anyway as a practice piece. I ended up taking about 2" off the diameter to get the crack to a manageable size, but I am very happy with the result.

You can see the dark line where the wax had colored the wood around the crack, but it doesn't look too bad.

Attachments

• IMG_20120701_171627.jpg
    IMG_20120701_171627.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 295
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

That is very nice. It sucks about the crack, but they may not have known. I bet they have them delivered already waxed. But show them the next time you go, who knows, they might make it good.

phillywood

Firstof all that is a nice work. Secondly, the mother nature did not promise that everything would be perfect. Look up the charactristic of Bocote and you'll learn that it would crack then other thing is that where it has been stored (climatewise). lastly, try to use the crack as an advantage for design opportunity, of course you have to make sure that you stablize it so it won't blow up on you in the midst of turning. You can either use the shavings of the same wood sifted to a very fine dust, to fill the crack with it, then agian that's concealing the crack and in most cases it doesn't look pleasing at the end. In this case you could have used lighter contrasting wood dust like maple or some thing in the orangish hue to accent your piece. in any events make sure that you stablize the crack with either CA glue or epoxy before you really tool your piece since I just had a friend that had two reconstructive surgery on his face due to a crack opening on him in middle of the turuning and hit him in the face and crushed his right side of the face. Most importantly stay away to one side of the path of rotation of the bowl and use the tail stock all the way to the last nub to avoid any accidents. best of luck to you. your practice bowl looks very nice.

Last edited:

jcm71

Leave the crack. It will sell itself as a reminder that none of us is perfect. Advertise it that way. If I remember right (from reading Shogun many years ago) the most valued tea ceremony cups in Japan are those that have a flaw.

robutacion

As a wood worker all my life, I have to agree entirely with Philips comments...!

Now, as a wood seller of non-commercial woods and only those that grown around me and that I cut/salvage or process from the very start, I know well how temperamental some woods are, when you leave nature to do its thing when it comes to drying the wood.

Air drying has 2 sides to it, any wood that is left to dry naturally, will always be more stable than any other put through accelerated mechanic drying processes, unless the system used is radiation and wood bath treatment...!

Letting the wood dry naturally, will always allow cracks to develop and in many time, rip the wood to threads some beyond usable, unless one is only making pen blanks from it. The way the wood is cut/sliced/ripped for air dry "stacking", is the most determine factor to the amount of cracks distortion and other abnormalities, happening during that process.

As a wood seller, I try to remove most of the cracking's and other faults that I see will spoil the blank however, as a wood turner, I see each blank for its potential so I make them available as is so that other can make the selection based upon, to what they are comfortable to work with.

There are people out there that, would not accept ant blank with any cracks, knots, flaws or anything else that would not make it a "perfect" blank. For these people, perfect wood is totally flawless, and most of these come from very large trees milled in very large timber mills.

There is nothing wrong with wanting only flawless wood, if you are prepared to pay for its perfection but, a large % of wood turners want to pay very low prices for something that as taken a great deal of time, effort and waste to produce that perfect piece/blank, that unless you have experience with processing wood, you would never understand.

Now, are all woods the same...??? hell no...! some are quite easy to yield quality, quantity and sizes, others wouldn't yield anything bigger that to make a pen blank in diameter. Counting all the others in between, some woods are simply easy to work/process than others, some rarely develop cracks either green or dry while others, you look at them a little cross and they start cracking in front of your eyes...!

However, one thing is for certain, if you are charged premium prices for exhibition grade woods/blanks , you can expect top grade premium quality woods/blanks and if in some of those rarer woods where ownership, has little to do with the wood condition then, is up to each individual experience, ability (workmanship) to work that piece accordingly and produce a quality finish product.

In regards to blanks that are fully waxed (normally when green) and that cracks or flaws "contaminated" with way, boiling the wood or simply pouring boiling water over the waxed area, is in most cases sufficient to remove all the wax successfully...!

Fillings are indeed a great thing and is also up tom each individual to decide if a match or a contrast filling is more appropriate. Not all cracks and or flaws have to be filled or touched in any way, sometimes its natural look is what values the piece...! This maybe explain why some wood people deliberately carve/cut/create all sorts of flaws in the wood, from the lack of getting/obtaining any blanks with really natural flaws so they created their own...!

Either way, is fine...! just remember that some woods have a mind of their own and regardless what you do/want, they do their thing and you have absolutely no control over, period...!

Good luck and lets make some shavings...!

PS: Also remember that, nature produces the most colourful and intricate grain formations, around flaws...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Fibonacci

I want to clarify that I am not opposed to using material with cracks, I agree that nothing is perfect and cracks add a lot of character.

My issue is that they advertise crack and check free blanks. If it had cracked while sitting on the shelf, that happens too and is part of buying wood. This was a crack 1/4" wide that was in the piece when they prepped it for sale. I presume it was Rockler's supplier that ignored it, but I still have a problem with something having a flaw that it is explicitly claimed not to have.

I thought about doing an inlay with some kind of powder, but I couldn't come up with a color that I thought would work with the grain colors.

Top Bottom