Bouncing Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Richard92

The blank is close to sanding which shouldn't be much I got a great finish with the scew. The blank is made from walnut,pink ivory and yellow heart.
I have check centre tention and all segments for glue problem. Turning at around 1200rpm, scew sharp, correct bushes. The finish is really good and feels smooth all round.
BUT the scew even taking the thinnest sliva off feels like it's bouncing 🤔🤔
Is it because of the 3 different consistency woods?
Any input welcome please.

Attachments

• 20200625_183738.jpg
    20200625_183738.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 208
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

A good sharp skew will cut through wood easily. What you are probably feeling is the glue lines. Glue is harder than wood. But again a good sharp skew and light cuts will bring it home. Have to tell you this though. After this blanks sits for awhile even after finished you will feel ridges in it due to the varied degree of woods expanding and contracting unevenly. Just the nature of the blank. Use acrylics and you eliminate that part.

Richard92

A good sharp skew will cut through wood easily. What you are probably feeling is the glue lines. Glue is harder than wood. But again a good sharp skew and light cuts will bring it home. Have to tell you this though. After this blanks sits for awhile even after finished you will feel ridges in it due to the varied degree of woods expanding and contracting unevenly. Just the nature of the blank. Use acrylics and you eliminate that part.
Now you mention that I have noticed that. As today has been the hottest day of the year here I took a break and came back to it
Thanks for that.

Charlie_W

The humidity could also have affected it since it sat a bit.
It looks to be a splendid blank and pen when finished....please post a pic.

Curly

It is possible that because of the 3 woods having different densities, or the longish TBC setup, or a slightly dull skew, or all three, you are getting a harmonic vibration. If you look carefully at the blank and see a ripple effect spiralling down the blank it is vibrating ever so slightly. You might have heard it, maybe a different tone or louder than it was a second earlier. A raking light might help see it. You can try adjust the pressure on the centres, sharpen the skew, change the speed up or down some or change the angle you present the skew or turn like an Aussie with the long point down. Any or a combination will get rid of the vibration or make it a little worse but it will tell you what corrects it.

Richard92

It is possible that because of the 3 woods having different densities, or the longish TBC setup, or a slightly dull skew, or all three, you are getting a harmonic vibration. If you look carefully at the blank and see a ripple effect spiralling down the blank it is vibrating ever so slightly. You might have heard it, maybe a different tone or louder than it was a second earlier. A raking light might help see it. You can try adjust the pressure on the centres, sharpen the skew, change the speed up or down some or change the angle you present the skew or turn like an Aussie with the long point down. Any or a combination will get rid of the vibration or make it a little worse but it will tell you what corrects it.
Unfortunately due to sever hearing loss there is no chance of listening for tone change. However having read everyone imput I think it's the wood density combined with scew presentation.

Richard92

Beautiful pen. Do you mind sharing where you came up with that hand?
Yeah no problem happy to tell you. The one I have shown is the cheap version of this one.https://www.amazon.com/Executive-Paperweight-Organizer-Decoration-Anti-Silver/dp/B07MT9MTNF
No longer have the contact details of the one I have

Dieseldoc

Yeah no problem happy to tell you. The one I have shown is the cheap version of this one.https://www.amazon.com/Executive-Paperweight-Organizer-Decoration-Anti-Silver/dp/B07MT9MTNF
No longer have the contact details of the one I have
Amazon has them, just look around the site from vendor name and you will find it.

Top Bottom