Bought my first can of PR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penturner63

Hey all,
just bought a can of PR,and want to cast with the tubes in the blank.
What do you put in the tube to keep the PR out? Haven't found the answer
to that yet on the site. Thank You, Scott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

The heat generated while the PR cures will melt the wax.
You will need some weight in the tubes to keep them from floating when the PR is added if you are casting in a large mold. I now use the molds sold by Gadget and cutting the little wooden squares just a bit large holds the tubes in the mold slots. The weights can be nails or short metal rods as well as the BB's I use. Actually, a couple of large nails cut to length or one metal dowel is easier to use than BB's.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I've never done this, but I would plug the ends with wax, like this:
http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Base_PLate_Wax.htm

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

I've been using modelers clay to fill the tubes and corking the ends for some time now along with Gadgets molds and I get paint sticks from Lowes or Depot and cut just slightly larger than the mold, this holds the blanks centered and the clay keeps and PR that Might pass the corks from filling the tubes. If you use a tupperware container to cast in you can still use the paint sticks with this method just use a drop of CA on the ends of the cork and attatch the sticks that were cut toi fit in the mold thus keeping the tubes centered and the weight of the clay will stop it from floating.

rherrell

Don, I use the same trick, cutting the wooden squares a little big for Gadgets molds and find that I don't need any weight added. Without anything in the tube it makes it easy to drill out if I get a leak.:wink:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Usually, if you are casting tubes, there is something around the tubes, that has value.

You MIGHT want to do a few casts to learn how much "hardener" YOU want to use, so you can TURN your finished product, before you go to valuable "things on tubes".

Just a thought from one who has ruined more PR blanks than most of you would want to ruin.

jskeen

Expertise is nothing but an accumulation of knowing how not to make that particular mistake again! Ed wasn't born knowing how to turn PR any more than he was born with that furry thing under his nose :)

Anybody who claims to have never made mistakes has never attempted anything interesting!

Top Bottom