Bottle stopppers on the cheap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MAKEITOUTOFWOOD

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ruth Niles

Well, believe it or not, I do make seasonal stoppers using cork. I buy from Nick Cook, his corks seem to be a better quality, tighter (for lack of a better word) structure. I do snowmen for Christmas season and change the hat to go to a point, paint it black and you have Holloween.

I tried the silicone but found, with time, got brittle and cracked.

Of course, if you're looking for cheaper, they are not expected to last for years.

Have fun.

Ruth Niles

keithlong

I made some using the silicone, I gave them as gifts, and the ones who got told me that they are easy to clean. Have not used one myself. They are fun to make though.

broitblat

I'm not sure which is cheaper, but I prefer the silicone. The cork doesn't seem to get as many uses before it starts to fall apart.

-Barry

I have seen those but never tried them. Do you know for a fact that the stopper will not leak when a bottle of wine is laid on its side? If so I am going to try some.

Andy forgive my ignorance but why would you want to lay an opened bottle of wine on it's side? I do understand that the bottle stopper will be in place.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Andy forgive my ignorance but why would you want to lay an opened bottle of wine on it's side? I do understand that the bottle stopper will be in place.

With cork stoppers, its to keep the cork moist, so that it doesn't shrink and thus let air in. With silicone or rubber stopped stoppers, I don't think it would make any sense.

seamus7227

people typically lay an opened bottle on its side if they are re-using the cork they pulled out, reason being, you want to keep the cork moist so that it doesnt dry out and possible ruin the wine. I guess in the case of a handmade bottle stopper, you dont have to lay it on its side.:rolleyes:

With cork stoppers, its to keep the cork moist, so that it doesn't shrink and thus let air in. With silicone or rubber stopped stoppers, I don't think it would make any sense.

I know this is true for storing unopened wine. But for a bottle that has been opened and is going to be finished the next day. Plus the cork on the bottle stopper has always been dry.

tool-man

One customer of mine places her open bottles of white wine in her refrigerator, and there is no convenient place to keep the bottle vertical. So she lays them on their side and they sometimes leak a little past the stainless stopper I have been using. In her case it has nothing to do with cork and drying.

One customer of mine places her open bottles of white wine in her refrigerator, and there is no convenient place to keep the bottle vertical. So she lays them on their side and they sometimes leak a little past the stainless stopper I have been using. In her case it has nothing to do with cork and drying.

Gotcha Andy.

Top Bottom