Bottle Stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Been a long time since I made any bottle stoppers and have forgotten what size. For those who make them and sell them what is the best size stopper to get? I see there now is a variety of sizes. Use to be a universal size only. These newer versions look alot nicer. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
You might also try (stainlessbottlestoppers.com). 100% Made in America and their customer service is great (ask for Dan...BIG help). I can now tell my customers that my bottle stoppers are 100% Made in America down to the Epoxy I use. Hope this helps. Merry Christmas!

jttheclockman

I would go with the ruth niles stoppers, made of solid stainless steel, sold at penn state and craftsupplies usa
I always use Ruth's stoppers. Hers are made in America also and stainless. My question is there are various sizes she offers and my question is what is the popular one that everyone is selling?

jttheclockman

You might also try (stainlessbottlestoppers.com). 100% Made in America and their customer service is great (ask for Dan...BIG help). I can now tell my customers that my bottle stoppers are 100% Made in America down to the Epoxy I use. Hope this helps. Merry Christmas!
Not sure if that was the company that gave her legal problems of copyright infringement. Look back here at some old posts and you will see she is a long standing member here.

InkyMike

I always use Ruth's stoppers. Hers are made in America also and stainless. My question is there are various sizes she offers and my question is what is the popular one that everyone is selling?
I haven't sold any yet, but I just turned a few and attached them to Niles contemporary stoppers. (The 3000) I like the simplicity and heft.

I use the Bourbon stopper pictured here. Seems to sell well and Stainless Bottle Stoppers has a very good selection of wine stoppers too. If I'm not mistaken I think Ruth did sell the company recently to Carl?

1671560662023.png

jttheclockman

I use the Bourbon stopper pictured here. Seems to sell well and Stainless Bottle Stoppers has a very good selection of wine stoppers too. If I'm not mistaken I think Ruth did sell the company recently to Carl?

View attachment 345292
Yea I have not kept up with that industry as I said I have not made many over the years but they were a fad here and I bought some of her tear drop ones. I like the one you are showing but also like the one that Mike shown too. You can stand stopper to display and not need a rack.

monophoto

I've always used the standard size, and have never had a problem with them fitting into a wine bottle. I haven't tested them in any other kind of bottle.

I agree that Ruth's stainless steel stoppers are the best; I have a few of them in my shop that I reserve for special occasions. And I met her at Totally Turning a few years ago, and found that chatting with her was a really pleasant experience. If I were making stoppers to sell, that's probably what I would use. But I don't sell stuff; instead, I give them away and don't want to spend that much on materials. When we went to the neighborhood Christmas party on Saturday, I took the hosts a bottle of wine with a stopper tied to the neck.

When I first got into turning, I used some of the plated stoppers sold by PSI - they were terrible. The plating corroded and eventually flaked off. Later, I switched to the PSI silicone and dowel design which I used for quite a few years. More recently, however, I bought simple silicon sleeves alone because I don't need a dowel - instead, I turn a long tenon on the bottom of the stopper that the sleeve slips over.

WriteON

I like the Niles with a flat bottom base. They can also simply sit on a shelf for display in the kitchen or bar. Chrome or Brass. Can't go wrong with flat bottom.

Attachments

• B5F86B37-44BC-4978-9810-15C46415D812.jpeg
    B5F86B37-44BC-4978-9810-15C46415D812.jpeg
    329.1 KB · Views: 67
  • BAB80E94-D81C-46AC-B73A-826C3FF09FFE.jpeg
    BAB80E94-D81C-46AC-B73A-826C3FF09FFE.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 40A2AC5C-E567-4DE1-8FC3-90BDA8F0A283.jpeg
    40A2AC5C-E567-4DE1-8FC3-90BDA8F0A283.jpeg
    442.8 KB · Views: 77

WriteON

Some more flat bases. The Granade stopper was one of my first Niles purchases from a sample kit. Knew then I did not like the tapered bottom.

Attachments

• 4C0EE5CF-D53C-4CC6-846D-A94AE1E9B422.jpeg
    4C0EE5CF-D53C-4CC6-846D-A94AE1E9B422.jpeg
    253.1 KB · Views: 61
Top Bottom