Bottle Stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Madman1978

I have this urge to start turning Bottle stoppers. I know I am crazy! lol

However, What do I exactly need to get turning on this.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I have only made about a dozen. They were not good sellers for me so I kind of abandoned them. I did buy this inexpensive chuck and it worked well. Tapping end grain doesn't work very well so you can buy metal inserts to glue into the hole. All in all, bottle stoppers are pretty inexpensive to get into. Now I would imagine bigger acrylic blanks could get pricey. I only did wood.
4F14DADC-E63A-4C75-942D-3FA806FA7B4F.jpeg

sorcerertd

I have done a few. I think it's tough to find a niche. The ones Ken did at least have a theme to be more personalized. I've seen some really cool hybrid blanks, but can't imagine it would be easy to sell them for enough to really cover much more than the cost. Right place, right time maybe.

I saw one once similar to this with a miniature x-wing cast in it.

monophoto

When we are invited to a party or dinner, our practice is to always take along a bottle of wine, and I always include a stopper. I've never tried to sell them and I can understand that the potential market could be limited. The place where I buy wines has a few on display but I don't know how well they sell. We've done lots of winery tastings, and I've noticed that many tasting rooms also have a display. Interestingly, the stoppers on display at wineries tend to be nicer (turned by local crafters) while the display at the liquor store are all cheap Chinese plastic stoppers.

One of the problems with stoppers is that serious wine drinkers don't need them - they always finish the bottle!

One of the problems with stoppers is that serious wine drinkers don't need them - they always finish the bottle!
For this very reason i sell my stoppers as designed for quitters.... :cool::D

As to the OP, you don't really need anything to start except some nice blanks...I turn all my stoppers on a pen chuck.... I have a Beall Collet that I can put a 3/8" rod into with a flat on one side and a small nail to create the tension and ... or you can put a 3/8" bolt in and screw the blank on to.... you don't run into the chuck housing and you have free access to the entire blank.

Hey Michael. I get all my stopper guts from Ruth Niles. I use her chuck and the brass inserts that work great. I don't sell a lot of them but I've gotten some good reviews on some that I have sold. Here's a picture of some that I've done. Submit your pictures to Ruth and she'll put them on her website. Also be sure to sign up for her news letter, she sometimes has discounts posted there. Good luck on your hunt. One suggestion, go with Stainless Steel.

Olive wood bourbon stopper.jpgCurly koa.jpg

WriteON

I have this urge to start turning Bottle stoppers. I know I am crazy! lol

However, What do I exactly need to get turning on this.
It cost a little to get started. They take time and create a mess. Cannot sell for a decent amount. I'd want a least $50. BUT>>> extremely creative results. Great gifts. May I suggest start out with Niles products.

I"ve posted this before and will sound like a heretic, but I find that while they are very very nice, Ruth Niles stopper inserts are a little pricey to really use and make any money... I use a company out of Seattle called EZ-POTS to get my SS stopper inserts... they're about half the price of Ruth's and I find of equal quality... I also don't use a stopper chuck, I still use a pin chuck in my Beall collet system... it works for me and I can knock out a bottle stopper in about 10-15 minutes, including the sanding.... I finish off the lathe, so I will have a half to dozen made up and on my finish rack before I start finishing.... I like to put multiple coats of polyurethane on my turnings, so finishing usually takes a few days.

I just happen to have the Beall Collet system, but you can mount a 3/8" rod or bolt in a 4 jaw chuck just as easily and accomplish the same thing.... I filed a flat on the 3/8" rod and put a small finish nail there, then twist the blank to bind before turning... little to no cost on the chuck.

Madman1978

I"ve posted this before and will sound like a heretic, but I find that while they are very very nice, Ruth Niles stopper inserts are a little pricey to really use and make any money... I use a company out of Seattle called EZ-POTS to get my SS stopper inserts... they're about half the price of Ruth's and I find of equal quality... I also don't use a stopper chuck, I still use a pin chuck in my Beall collet system... it works for me and I can knock out a bottle stopper in about 10-15 minutes, including the sanding.... I finish off the lathe, so I will have a half to dozen made up and on my finish rack before I start finishing.... I like to put multiple coats of polyurethane on my turnings, so finishing usually takes a few days.

I just happen to have the Beall Collet system, but you can mount a 3/8" rod or bolt in a 4 jaw chuck just as easily and accomplish the same thing.... I filed a flat on the 3/8" rod and put a small finish nail there, then twist the blank to bind before turning... little to no cost on the chuck.
I took the time to Lookup EZ-Pots. Decent prices but only on a few styles. The remaining was priced at the same levels as all other sellers. as well as a high shipping cost.

monophoto

As anyone who has ever met her will attest, Ruth Niles is a very nice person, and her stoppers are excellent, but they are pricey. So if you build your stoppers around Niles components, you naturally have to ask a pretty significant price for them. And therein is the problem - if the price you have to ask exceeds the expectations of the market, you won't sell very many. My sense is there are a different markets, and the prudent approach is to tailor your product to what the market is willing to buy.

My sense is that folks who shop craft sales and farmer's markets will be comparing your stoppers with the inexpensive Chinese-made one-piece molded silicone stoppers that sell for about $1.50 each on Amazon. That creates a ceiling price for stoppers for the venue that might be around $5. Obviously, you can't sell stoppers made with Ruth Niles components at that price.

The wine shop that we frequent has a few stoppers on display, but they are all the one-piece molded silicone variety - and most of the wine they sell is $10-15 per bottle.

The situation where I think more expensive stoppers will sell at prices that are reasonable given the cost of steel stopper components is in the tasting room of nicer wineries or up-market wine shops. Someone who is paying $30-100 for a bottle of wine will be less hesitant to spend $25 for a stopper.

sbwertz

We made a lot of them at the blind center. I have some one inch thin wooden discs and we used a spade bit in the tailstock to rout out a cavity in the top of the turned stopper, then burned initials or pictures onto the disk with the laser and glued it into the cavity. Allowed us to personalize them. They sold well and were quick and easy to make....done in one day.

sbwertz

Hey Michael. I get all my stopper guts from Ruth Niles. I use her chuck and the brass inserts that work great. I don't sell a lot of them but I've gotten some good reviews on some that I have sold. Here's a picture of some that I've done. Submit your pictures to Ruth and she'll put them on her website. Also be sure to sign up for her news letter, she sometimes has discounts posted there. Good luck on your hunt. One suggestion, go with Stainless Steel.

View attachment 314226View attachment 314227
She gave a great discount to the blind center, too. She's good people.

sbwertz

A pretty empty wine bottle and a pretty stopper make a great olive oil or avocado oil container. We collected pretty bottles at the center just for that purpose.

I took the time to Lookup EZ-Pots. Decent prices but only on a few styles. The remaining was priced at the same levels as all other sellers. as well as a high shipping cost.
I haven't bought from them in a while... prices must have gone up ... I generally watch for their sales and buy a good supply then... right now I have about a dozen or more pieces in inventory to make, but lately they have been a slow seller... too many people have "stopped quitting".... :D

As anyone who has ever met her will attest, Ruth Niles is a very nice person, and her stoppers are excellent, but they are pricey. So if you build your stoppers around Niles components, you naturally have to ask a pretty significant price for them. And therein is the problem - if the price you have to ask exceeds the expectations of the market, you won't sell very many. My sense is there are a different markets, and the prudent approach is to tailor your product to what the market is willing to buy.

My sense is that folks who shop craft sales and farmer's markets will be comparing your stoppers with the inexpensive Chinese-made one-piece molded silicone stoppers that sell for about $1.50 each on Amazon. That creates a ceiling price for stoppers for the venue that might be around $5. Obviously, you can't sell stoppers made with Ruth Niles components at that price.

The wine shop that we frequent has a few stoppers on display, but they are all the one-piece molded silicone variety - and most of the wine they sell is $10-15 per bottle.

The situation where I think more expensive stoppers will sell at prices that are reasonable given the cost of steel stopper components is in the tasting room of nicer wineries or up-market wine shops. Someone who is paying $30-100 for a bottle of wine will be less hesitant to spend $25 for a stopper.
Nothing against Ruth... from all recommending her she is obviously a great person... and I agree that building prices around her stoppers, you do wind up with prices beyond the market.... I live in a market that's not conducive to high end products.... Best I can get for a stopper is around $25....

We buy most of our wine from Trader Joe's... mostly "two buck chuck".... since my wife has become diabetic and has stopped most of her alcohol consumption, we don't keep much wine anymore...

Madman1978

No quitting here
I have I guess 6 or 8 done for last week's show.

Attachments

• 20210811_142240.jpg
    20210811_142240.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210811_142251.jpg
    20210811_142251.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210811_142407.jpg
    20210811_142407.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210811_142433.jpg
    20210811_142433.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210811_142434.jpg
    20210811_142434.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210811_142508.jpg
    20210811_142508.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 47
Good looking stoppers.... I got on a kick of stoppers last year... have about 40+ in stock.... with Covid and my markets shut down, pretty much have a glut in my inventory now and not moving them just now.... might have gotten carried away. :(

Madman1978

Here are a few I finished. The gold one is with Zebrawood. I am having an issue I think with some of my wood being so dry. Maple is awesome (a reclaimed headboard) Walnut and Ash. Love ash, and a pour of my own.

Attachments

• 20210904_223141.jpg
    20210904_223141.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210904_223148.jpg
    20210904_223148.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 46
  • 20210904_223155.jpg
    20210904_223155.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210904_223204.jpg
    20210904_223204.jpg