Bottle stopper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from eteska

eteska

First pine cone cast with a transparent pigment. Over all I really like how it shows off the pine cone. However I don't care for seeing the threads. Any suggestions on how to best hide them?
IMG_2778.JPG
IMG_2779.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Nice! As far as hiding the threads I'd try painting the hole just like painting the hole in a pen blank before gluing in the brass tube. If you did that then I wouldn't have a clue other than experimentation. I didn't see any in the pictures.

eteska

Nice! As far as hiding the threads I'd try painting the hole just like painting the hole in a pen blank before gluing in the brass tube. If you did that then I wouldn't have a clue other than experimentation. I didn't see any in the pictures.

I had thought about painting but haven't had the best luck on the couple pen blanks that I have tried this on. Also thought about mixing up a small amount of the 15 min epoxy I have with a dot of the pigment. No coming back from the 2nd though..

JohnU

Another option is cast an opaque colored rod slightly larger in height and diameter than your threads and glue your pinecone to the top of and pieces of it to the sides of this smaller rod. Then cast over it with your transparent resin.

Kenny Durrant

Try mixing the pigment with clear Elmers glue. That way there's a chance you can back up and try something else. I've never painted threads but with pen tubes the only problem is when the clearance is so tight the paint gets scraped off. I use a water base acrylic paint I get from Michaels or Hobby Lobby. It's easy clean up and flexible. It also come in several colors so you can find one that matches. You might try painting the hole and the threads and screwing it in while the paints wet. If you try just the wet paint you can take it apart and wash it off before it dries if you don't like it.

Just a suggestion and nothing more. Ruth Niles makes great Stainless Steel stoppers and is running a 10% off sale until august (coupon code "Show Special". I've had great luck with them and her prices are very attractive. She's very helpful and will get back to any question you email her. I used to do the Chrome ones like you've got here and have had some come back with a bad plating.

eteska

As an update. I ended up trying black acrylic paint on both the male and female threads and then screwed it together. Pretty happy with the results. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
IMG_2809.JPG
IMG_2810.JPG

If you hold it to the light you can still see them but look much better than previous.

Top Bottom