Bottle Opener

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jjjaworski

jjjaworski

I tried one of the bottle opener kits. It came out okay.

Attachments

• opener1a.jpg
    opener1a.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 227
  • opener1b.jpg
    opener1b.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 229
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jjjaworski

I think it looks nice as well. Do you just turn the handle between centers?

Regards,
Michael

Michael,

I was supplied with a 1-1/2 square by 6 inch blank for this commission job.

I trimmed the blank to 5 inches long and 1-1/4 square before starting. The plans called for drilling a 3/8 hole a specific depth so the 3/8-16 threaded opener could be epoxied into the finished handle. I went a different route.

Since the threads were cast they were a poor fit into a threaded hole. I ran a die over them to make them crisp.

I mounted the blank into a scroll chuck and drilled a hole with a 5/16 bit ( the tap drill ) I did a small counterbore with a 3/8 drill to assure I had clearance for the portion the die did not cleanup.

With the lathe powered OFF, I hand tapped the hole using soapy water and a spiral end machine tap. It took a bit of stopping and starting to clear chips and avoid a broken tap.

I checked to see the hardware would seat all the way.

I removed the blank and CA glued a short pen blank scrap to the other end. I mounted it back into the scroll chock and center drilled into the scrap.

I turned the blank between a 60 degree dead center and 60 degree live center. I only had a very small area to clean up by hand after sanding before parting off.

RobS

mecompco

Yes, thanks for the write-up. I've acquired a couple bottle openers on a trade and was wondering how best to turn the blank. The threaded portion of mine are more like .25 or a hair larger. You've given me some ideas. :)

Regards,
Michael

Top Bottom