Bottle filling machine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BradG

BradG

Not exactly arts & crafts, but nevertheless it's other things I make

I was commissioned to make a bottle filling machine for a chemical company.

The accurate way of doing this, is to use a pneumatic cylinder which acts as a syringe in effect, or a peristaltic pump for smaller volumes, but this would be overkill for the company as measurements are approximate. Instead, I opted for a scale system.

A full bottle is placed on the bed and the blue button is pushed which records the weight of the bottle. now empty bottles can be placed onto the bed and with each push of the green button liquid is dispensed until the weight is exactly matched. This alone makes it very accurate in terms of repeatability and I have a very happy customer.

I machined all pieces from aluminium, and used aluminium extrusion profile for the framework.

The filling head slides from left to right to accommodate the hole positions on larger bottles such as 5L. The filling head bar slides up and down to accommodate different height bottle.

The circuit board inside the controller I designed in CAD and etched myself as I have a PCB line at home. the PCB acts as an expansion shield for an Arduino, which contains the firmware I've written in C++.

The LCD display on the controller reports the current status

Attachments

• bottle1.jpg
    bottle1.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 242
  • bottle2.jpg
    bottle2.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 253
  • bottle3.jpg
    bottle3.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 232
  • bottle4.jpg
    bottle4.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 194
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

But can it put ink back into a Schmidt easyFLOW 9000 M? :rolleyes:

I don't think so! :biggrin:

Admit it, Brad...your device has its limitations!! :eek::eek:

As for the: "The circuit board inside the controller I designed in CAD and etched myself as I have a PCB line at home. the PCB acts as an expansion shield for an Arduino, which contains the firmware I've written in C++."

Could you translate??

Interesting post. How about making a cool pen? Those efforts are always something to enjoy.

Aloha!

Dale Allen

Brad, that is excellent. Gets the job done with no overkill.
You of course are a seasoned IAP member and are quite capable of filtering the responses....ahem!!:biggrin:

I especially enjoyed this post because I too like to figure out solutions to problems or processes. I have my moments of 'ah-ha's' and then there are some that don't pan out.

Thank you for showing how these things are done.
Your extensive experience and craftsmanship serves you well.

magpens

Nice going, Brad !! . You certainly are "Jack of all Trades" ! I have considered getting an Arduino system myself just to play around with and eventually use for motor control. . A Canadian mail order place has some Arduino stuff at pretty good prices. You might be interested in having a look:

Search results for 'arduino' | Princess Auto

BradG

Interesting post. How about making a cool pen? Those efforts are always something to enjoy.

Aloha!

Need to finish off some projects before I can contemplate turning pens for fun :Smile:

I especially enjoyed this post because I too like to figure out solutions to problems or processes. I have my moments of 'ah-ha's' and then there are some that don't pan out.

Dale I have many which don;t pan out too. its the trying that counts and the perseverance. it took Edison a 1000 tries before he tried an oxygenated tungsten filament creating the light bulb :) good for you though for having a crack!

Nice going, Brad !! . You certainly are "Jack of all Trades" ! I have considered getting an Arduino system myself just to play around with and eventually use for motor control. . A Canadian mail order place has some Arduino stuff at pretty good prices. You might be interested in having a look:

Search results for 'arduino' | Princess Auto

Il have a nosey :) postage to the uk is usually the prohibiting factor. the UK ebay site supplies most bits il ever need

Top Bottom