Bats
Member
So, I majorly blew it on a cigar, and I'm wondering if anyone else has been similarly stupid & discovered ways to rectify the situation - since it's a blank I'd rather not sacrifice.
I found myself out of rear tubes & had to cut a replacement, but, probably due to exhaustion, managed to mis-measure the length by a whopping .085", and didn't discover it until the pen was assembled - so it ended up too short and, needless to say, the pen neither fits together cleanly, nor functions.
First of all, is there any way to disassemble the rear of cigars without destroying the plastic components in the transmission? It looks like an 11/32" transfer punch might be able to press it from the center (hopefully without damage to the threads), but that seems likely to just force the transmission further into the tailpiece, rather than knocking it out. Is there something saner than fabbing up a jig to fit under a partially unscrewed tailcap & using a drill press or lathe carriage/tailstock backwards to pull it apart?
Second, even assuming it's all disassembled, any thoughts on the best way to extend the barrel length when the tube length is obviously stuck as it is? Considering the press-fit portion of the band is fairly long, I was considering a contrasting segment between the band & blank, possibly with a dot of epoxy or sleeve retainer if it doesn't seem secure, but am I overlooking anything and/or just setting myself up for other problems?
Thanks for any help,
-Bats
I found myself out of rear tubes & had to cut a replacement, but, probably due to exhaustion, managed to mis-measure the length by a whopping .085", and didn't discover it until the pen was assembled - so it ended up too short and, needless to say, the pen neither fits together cleanly, nor functions.
First of all, is there any way to disassemble the rear of cigars without destroying the plastic components in the transmission? It looks like an 11/32" transfer punch might be able to press it from the center (hopefully without damage to the threads), but that seems likely to just force the transmission further into the tailpiece, rather than knocking it out. Is there something saner than fabbing up a jig to fit under a partially unscrewed tailcap & using a drill press or lathe carriage/tailstock backwards to pull it apart?
Second, even assuming it's all disassembled, any thoughts on the best way to extend the barrel length when the tube length is obviously stuck as it is? Considering the press-fit portion of the band is fairly long, I was considering a contrasting segment between the band & blank, possibly with a dot of epoxy or sleeve retainer if it doesn't seem secure, but am I overlooking anything and/or just setting myself up for other problems?
Thanks for any help,
-Bats