Bookends / Bookholder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

Simple design with some gorgeous spalted maple. I just ran a dovetail bit down the center and the bookends slide in making it adjustable. As it turned out, the books filled it so the adjustable feature wasn't even needed. It always feels good to be able to just make something you need.
282CE9CE-8AC7-423C-8E57-0F72FBFEEF5F.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Looks good. You have a thing for Photoshop don't you? 😉
I do have to confess to a photoshop obsession, though I never upgraded past CS5. Those books had been relegated to the basement storage area. This week we reorganized our computer room and I suddenly had a place for them, just needed bookends. 😁

leehljp

Member Liaison
I love making projects like this. And the little extras, such as you did with the dovetails really make them very practical and useful. Great use of some beautiful wood!

jttheclockman

File0045.jpg

Brings back memories. I made a set for some of my books also way back when I first built my basement shop. That saw design I believe was in an older Wood magazine if I remember. The photo is not great because it was a still photo that I transferred to the computer. Back then I took more film photos than digital for sure. I wish I had digital photos of all my past projects. Would be fun to reminisce. That is some nice wood stock for those bookends you made. I am envisioning some nice mantle clocks or desk clocks out of that.

KenB259

View attachment 343931

Brings back memories. I made a set for some of my books also way back when I first built my basement shop. That saw design I believe was in an older Wood magazine if I remember. The photo is not great because it was a still photo that I transferred to the computer. Back then I took more film photos than digital for sure. I wish I had digital photos of all my past projects. Would be fun to reminisce. That is some nice wood stock for those bookends you made. I am envisioning some nice mantle clocks or desk clocks out of that.
That saw design is pretty cool. I bought quite a bit of that spalted maple awhile back. Premium quality wood is something that if you want it, you better buy it when you see it because it won't be there long. As far as wood for pen blanks, I already have more than I'll ever use. I really only buy exotics that I don't have. Here's a piece of Ipe that I just bought this morning. I don't know what I'm in for, I've never used it before. I do know it's dense, super heavy and hard.

Attachments

• 7FD58906-F30E-4383-AEC4-70AEC95F0E3E.jpeg
    7FD58906-F30E-4383-AEC4-70AEC95F0E3E.jpeg
    463.2 KB · Views: 59

jttheclockman

View attachment 343936View attachment 343937
That saw design is pretty cool. I bought quite a bit of that spalted maple awhile back. Premium quality wood is something that if you want it, you better buy it when you see it because it won't be there long. As far as wood for pen blanks, I already have more than I'll ever use. I really only buy exotics that I don't have. Here's a piece of Ipe that I just bought this morning. I don't know what I'm in for, I've never used it before. I do know it's dense, super heavy and hard.
Yea that is another form of disease I have about collecting things that I am sure I will never get a chance to use all. I have a lot of boards of various species of woods and was always a sucker for exotics. Again another memory has come to my mind because the place I use to buy all my hardwoods from US Mahagony burnt down many years ago now and never rebuilt which was a shame. But it was Good Friday weekend he would run his huge wood sale and I always would stock up on exotics plus some domestics. But his stock in exotics was far superior to any other place near me. Loved the rosewood family of woods and have a bunch. The only IPE I worked with is decking material and boy was that some hard woods. Heavy too. Someone was asking for heavy woods here, well add that one to the list. Look forward to see what you do with it. If I seen that board I too would have bought it. Nice figure to it. Pair it with the spalted maple and that makes a nice combo.

Be careful with the IPE... it looks very similar to a board of Beeswing IPE I had... beautiful wood but also caused me to break out in hives on my arms and neck where the skin wasn't covered when I turned it. I still have a couple of sticks about 1/2 x 1/2 that were cut offs when I was setting up some pepper mill blanks.

KenB259

Be careful with the IPE... it looks very similar to a board of Beeswing IPE I had... beautiful wood but also caused me to break out in hives on my arms and neck where the skin wasn't covered when I turned it. I still have a couple of sticks about 1/2 x 1/2 that were cut offs when I was setting up some pepper mill blanks.
Thanks for the heads up. So far I have never had any reaction to any of them, but you never know, this might be the one.

Top Bottom