book matched spalted beech inlaid boxes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from George Watkins

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

These latest are really great, and appear flawless. I am wondering if combining different woods with different grain orientation would possibly be at risk for cracking somewhere as the piece resides in different environments. I am particularly sensitive to that issue, living in Hawaii. I realize that my wood items will typically go to some environment with less humidity, in comparison to the medium-plus humidity of my shop.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Those are really nice.
If you don't mind sharing your technique, I hope you will consider writing a tutorial for the IAP Library.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow George, you have done it again. I've always been a fan and you never disappoint. The boxes in themselves are very impressive, the low profile style is cool. The book matched inlays are also superbly done and your attention to detail by ensuring that the mirror seam is perfectly central is just sick.

Well done as always, sir.:biggrin:

Jim Smith

WOW! Just when I fell in love with one of them, I'd scroll down and find another one to drool over. They are all beautiful, but the African Blackwood box is stunning. Gorgeous work!

Jim Smith

SteveG

Aloha George,
Did you notice my question at post #8, this thread? I always have to take into consideration wood movement, and wondered how you deal with the issue in this type of turning. My compliments again...great looking turnings!

Aloha George,
Did you notice my question at post #8, this thread? I always have to take into consideration wood movement, and wondered how you deal with the issue in this type of turning. My compliments again...great looking turnings!

sorry I missed it

I have only just started making book matched inlays but have been making boxes with solid inlays or internal lids using contrasting woods for quite a while and never had a complaint (touch wood)
I always dry both woods to the same MC before combining and I prefer 5 minute epoxy over CA as it has more "give" with the summer/winter movement
we also do not get such differences in humidity here in the UK.

Top Bottom